Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #1 
Eiksaa

My betta.....misses me?

I didn't want to post this thread because I do know how obnoxious this may sound, but I'm out of ideas so here goes. I have had Sake for about 2 months now. My boyfriend works from home and always sits next to his tank. When he goes out I am usually at home and right next to him.

We have been noticing that he loses color and gets stress stripes if we leave the house for more than 4-5 hours. Any lesser and he's fine. I thought it was only a co-incidence at first but this has happened every single time since we've had him. He gets dark and shiny pretty soon after we get back.

I tried leaving some music on once, that didn't help. I've read stories of betta biting their tails when their owners go away for the weekend and I really don't want it to get to that.

Does anyone else experience something similar? Is the solution to not be right next to him whenever we are at home? I don't think fish feel emotions so I don't think he misses me or anything but is it possible that he gets stressed if no one is around him? Please help!
Eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #2 
Fieldz

He misses you because you are his feeder. Without you he dies, and he surely knows it! All the bettas do...
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #3 
Eiksaa

Even when I feed him for the day before I leave? Poor thing!
Old 04-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #4 
Fieldz

Ha I know right. There is nothing you can do. Maybe feed him in turns with other people so he doesnt gets with only one or something else hehe. Dont worry...
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #5 
Mo

no. the above information is mostly incorrect. he most likely is exhibiting this behavior because of lack of social interaction. if you readily are by him, he will be used to interactions. and having a high traffic area, when this drastically changes for a prolonged period of time it causes stress to the fish itself. one option would to be before weekend vacations, slowly make him used to minimal interaction like decreasing the time he sees he each day by small amount in increments
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #6 
Eiksaa

Thank you for the response. Do fish recognize people? What if I ask one of my friends to come and interact with him? I am planning to go away for the weekend so trying to figure out my options.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #7 
OMGemily

that is so cute :) it just proves that fish really do deserve our love and affection instead of being treated like property
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #8 
Mo

Fish do recognize people. mostly the person who interacts with them the most. Having some sort of interaction will benefit him, but not fully. I would recommend that you could have some way to have a friend or someone to interact with your fish for a minimum of around 10-15 minutes.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote