Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #1 
myscarlet

I dont know which way to put in my filter. *Pics*

Does it go like this?

Or like this

So which way does the filter go in? Pic number one or pic number two?
myscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #2 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

number 2
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #3 
Shirleythebetta

second way. Cloth faces the back.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #4 
myscarlet

Ok now what do I do when I go to change filters in 30 days to not remove healthy bacteria?
Old 04-08-2012, 10:42 PM   #5 
Mo

You shouldn't change the media as it greatly effects the filter media that breaks down harmful substances such. Ammonia, and nitrites. So only change your media if it is direly needed.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #6 
myscarlet

How do I know when it is time to change? When I do I dont clean the whole filter pump itself do I? Sorry Im new to this and dont wanna mess it up.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:51 PM   #7 
Mo

You should just clean out the media every 2-3 weeks with old aquarium water to dilute the amount of gunk and help prevent the filter from getting clogged and not working properly. You should only chane in dire situations and you should find a way to preserve the bacteria when doing this. A good example would be when ou have to use any antibacterial medications for any reason. These are known to kill filter bacteria so it should be removed, and preserved. Possibly by removing the filter to another tank with a steady supply of ammonia. Along with chanign wqter to keep ammonia and nitrites down, and If you do have any fish other than labyrinth then you should use an aerator, to keep conditions optimal.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:53 PM   #8 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

you could replace the same piece you were holding every 2 or 3 weeks, just dont replace it the same day you do a water change, as this can be bad for the beneficial bacteria and cause an ammonia spike and kill your fish.
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:57 PM   #9 
myscarlet

I dont even know why the sides of the boxes of filter systems tell u to change them then lol. Probably for the money. Now sense I got a filter system, Should I ever change all the water in the tank at once? I know they dont suggest doing that with other tropical fish. I do have a gravel vaccum but I know in a small tank I would have to work quickly with it. Should I remove all the rocks ever to rinse them? Or just gravel vacuum them? I wanna give my little betta the best possible care.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #10 
Mo

How large is the tank?
What is the stocking?
These few answers would better help us depict whether or not you should fully clean the tank, or not