Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2012, 09:59 PM   #11 
myscarlet

Whats the media the filter system itsself? And yea Im talking about that filter piece I wasnt sure which way it was soposed to go in. Thats were the healthy bacteria grows so never change it?
myscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #12 
myscarlet

Just one male betta. 1.5G So never replace the carbon filter inside the filter pump?
Old 04-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #13 
Shirleythebetta

That looks like a 1.5 gallon? If I am right I change mine 100 percent a week and rinse everything in warm water including the rocks. I don't use gravel in small tanks because it's harder to deal with than those shiny glass stones. I don't cycle anything under two gallons. It's most common on here to recommend people to do a 50 percent water change and then a 100 percent water change in a week in a smaller tank but opinions vary.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:03 PM   #14 
myscarlet

Im confused. So never clean the part the carbon filter sits down in? Or never replace the carbon filter itself that piece I wasnt sure was backwards or whatever... That was the piece I was asking if it needed changed every 30 days.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #15 
myscarlet

So the piece I was holding in my hand I do need to completely replace that every month? And the black filter thing it sits in thats were the healthy bacteria is?
Old 04-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #16 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

Just rinse the piece you were holding in dechlorinated water and do a 100% water change weekly, only replace the piece you were holding if it starts falling apart
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #17 
Shirleythebetta

I'm confused now too... lol. I hope someone can explain this to both of us. I don't use a filter in my 1.5gallon I gave it to my mother-in-law for her 3 gallon. Also, my tank is currently empty anyways. Now I am insanly curious that I think about it more. I mean, who has an opinion on how necessary this filter is in a 1.5 gallon that will need more water changes anyways? Would it be there just for debree? Will that change the filter changing ritual?
Old 04-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #18 
Shirleythebetta

Oh okay *ILLBETHEJUDGE* kinda answered that a little. Thank you my brain was hurting.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #19 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

IMO you don't need a filter in anything less than 5 gallons but you will need to do 100% water changes every week but that is just my opinion.
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #20 
myscarlet

I got a new tank cause that hexagon tyank I had was missing the top rim to it and we had the cover rigged to the light and it looked ugly. Also The filter system alone was like with tax probably would have been close to 12 bucks. And this tank was 19 dollars and it came with that same filter system that was being sold seperatly for the 12 dollars. So I was thinking heck for 7 bucks more I can get a whole new tank. And I like having a filter on even small tanks because after 24 hours the water in that hexagon tank was getting cloudy. And I like clear water and im sure Scarlet does too.