Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2012, 11:27 PM   #21 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

Filter won't hurt, just rinse the media every week and do the water changes also.
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #22 
myscarlet

What is the media? the thing that piece I was holding is sitting in?
myscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:31 PM   #23 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

The piece you were holding. everything else just leave as is.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:31 PM   #24 
Shirleythebetta

Yea the water can get cloudy sometimes. It used to for me a lot. I think thats a bacteria thing. I switched to using stress coat only as my water conditioner and my little tanks stay clean and cloudless but it may not work like this in all water chemistry's. I think the most important thing you can do is weigh your options and do what you feel is best for your fish. You have good instincts from what I can see. I would trust them.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #25 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

Are you overfeeding your fish? that could be one of the reasons the water gets cloudy.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #26 
myscarlet

I have the tetra betta flakes I feed a tiny pinch in the morning and again before bed. Also doesnt the carbon in the filter cartridge go bad eventually?
myscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:04 AM   #27 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

I borrowed this from Mo
Carbon clears the water, cleans excess nutrients, Eliminates tannins, etc. the one hat eliminates ammonia is considered zeolite. But your main concern when changing any type of filter media is that it greatly effects the filter bacterias colony, and numbers. With fewer bacteria. Your tanks ability to eliminate toxic substances such as nitrites, and ammonia diminishes greatly, meaning that they will spike resulting in mass deaths, and most likely. Many sicknesses to break out within the tank
Old 04-09-2012, 12:49 AM   #28 
Shirleythebetta

hmm I am learning so much.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #29 
Mo

Yeah. The part where I stated that zeolite reduces ammonia took me a while to learn too. Lol

Another possibility to as why your tank is experiencing this issue could be due to the aquarium nitrogen cycle. There are multiple stages of this cycle. One of which being called the bacterial bloom, which happens first. This most likely will cause cloudy water and will eliminate itself within 3-5 days with no special treatment, but water changes can be done to help with the cloudiness. This is most likely your problem and not overfeeding, as your feeding schedule seems very well. And you are not overfeeding.

Carbon clears the water, cleans excess nutrients, Eliminates tannins, etc. the one that eliminates ammonia is considered zeolite. But your main concern when changing any type of filter media is that it greatly effects the filter bacterias colony, and numbers. With fewer bacteria. Your tanks ability to eliminate toxic substances such as nitrites, and ammonia diminishes greatly, meaning that they will spike resulting in mass deaths, and most likely. Many sicknesses to break out within the tank

Last edited by Mo; 04-09-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #30 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

I said I borrowed from Mo. I swear I didn't steal it.