Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #1 
Cyndih70

Hoping I have the proper aquarium

Sometimes watching too many videos and reading too many posts, can make you doubt decisions you have made. I thought i was doing a good thing, but purchasing a 3.5 gallon tank for my Sushi and now I'm wondering if it's too tall. I read something and saw a video about "tall" not being good for Betta Splendens. I do have a floating log and some silk leaves for him to lie in, but I'm needing some opinions or reassurance on my aquarium. It's 3.5 gallon, with heater and airstone/sponge filter, some glass marbles on the bottom of the tank and its roughly 12-13 inches deep.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Cyndih70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #2 
kfryman

It is fine... Aim for something longer rather than taller. Besides angels that need a tall tank, most fish prefer a horizontal swimming space, including bettas. It is a fine home for a betta, but it does have flaws.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

The reason tall is not so good is that bettas do need to be able to reach the surface to breathe (plus they prefer a longer footprint because it is more room to swim). Long-tailed males can sometimes find it a bit of a trek. That being said, I honestly would not worry about it. 12 inches is fine. My guy does fine in ten inches and my girls are perfectly content in 18 inches. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:15 PM   #4 
Sivan

It also depends on the fish. My Fabio loved horizontal swimming space more than verticle, which turned me off from buying any new "tall" tanks for the future. However, he did well and enjoyed his vertical home as well, which housed many betta before him.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote