Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2012, 06:36 AM   #1 
FishieLover97

Red face Does this seem like a good tank?

So im getting a fish this Friday and this is the tank I was looking at. It's only going to be one Betta fish in the tank. I will get some gravel, plants and food from Petco. So what do you think?

Oh and another question what should I do with the water? I have a pot of water sitting out and it will stay that way until Friday unless thats not safe for the fish. Thanks everyone! :)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-1-...i_sku=10312983

Last edited by FishieLover97; 04-09-2012 at 06:42 AM.
FishieLover97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:12 AM   #2 
sparkyjoe

There are different opinions but, personally, it seems a bit on the small side? Think of a gallon jug of milk, water, or whatever; imagine if that space was your whole world. For that money you could get a kritter keeper of 2 or 3 gallons. For something that small you really don't need a filter, just do regular water changes (I think the recommendation is one 50% and one 100% every week) & you'll be ok.

Oh, and you don't need to leave the water sitting out unless you want to, but even if you do you would still want to use a dechlorinator/conditioner such as Prime.

These are just my opinions.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:33 AM   #3 
Leeniex

I have this tank, it was my first. After I came here I moved up to a Kritter Keeper. It's much better.

Don't leave your water out, you want it close to 76-80 degrees out of the tap and make sure to condition it.

Make sure to get a heater and thermometer too. ;)
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:36 AM   #4 
FishieLover97

I will defiantly move up because I have a 20 gallon tank that just needs to be cleaned and such. Im moving in a few months so they will be transferred into that as soon as I can after moving. I got a thermometer yesterday and the temperature has stayed at 62 degrees for awhile. Will a light help keep the temp up? Also what did you think of the tank since you've had it? :) Thanks :)
FishieLover97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #5 
Leeniex

I don't use it anymore, but it was okay temporarily. I never used the filter at all. You really need a heater, 62 is too low and the light won't help enough.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:51 AM   #6 
OMGemily

i had that tank when i got my first betta and it really is rather small. plus theres no room for a heater. the triangular shape seemed really awkward for St. Jimmy. He died before i could put him in the new 5.5 gallon i bought though :/ i personally wouldnt recommend it. you have to remember that its only a gallon without anything in it. add some gravel or marbles and maybe a plant, and the bubble thing if you choose and suddenly youre closing your little guy in. i was going to upgrade to a 3 gallon which i heard was a good minimum (1 gallon per inch of fish) but the 5.5 was cheaper. sorry if i repeated anything anyone else said. i didnt read them all :/
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

Emily, the one gallon per inch rule is not a reliable one. I really wouldn't suggest using it.

As everyone has said, Fishielover, you will definitely need a heater. A light doesn't provide enough warmth and cannot keep a stable temperature since you need to switch it off at night.

I would also get a Kritter Keeper rather than the expensive but not as good Hawkeye, and use the money you save to get a really good heater and some good quality food and water conditioner (Prime gets my vote).
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:07 PM   #8 
TheJadeBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeniex View Post
Don't leave your water out, you want it close to 76-80 degrees out of the tap and make sure to condition it.
I wasn't going to post. But this has got my attention.

Why?
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:12 PM   #9 
finnfinnfriend

I would say you probably want at least two gallons....a kritter keeper works just fine. And get a small heater :)
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:01 AM   #10 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJadeBetta View Post
I wasn't going to post. But this has got my attention.

Why?
There is no advantage to leaving it out. Yes, the chlorine will evaporate out, but you need to leave it for 2 weeks to get rid of chloramines and heavy metals will never go. Leaving it out allows stuff to fall in it and for the temperature to drop to room temp. Much safer just to use a good dechlorinator like Prime. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote