Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #1 
cp6445

Water temp question

Not a day after I loose Fishy to whatever is killing my girls I have a heater crash in a different tank. Woke up this morning with one of my 10gals at 58 degrees. The 2 boys are still swimming and active. I have now replaced the heater.

My question is how quickly can I increase the temp back to 80? Should I let the heater do it by itself or manually increase it a couple of degrees too, to at least get it in the green? I'm going to do a 50% water change on that tank today anyway, so I don't know if I should get the temp up a little with that change.
cp6445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #2 
vilmarisv

I think it's better to get your tank to the right temp and then slowly adapt your fish to the new water. This is because all heaters vary and the temp in the knob is probably not what the water temp will end up being.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #3 
Draug Isilme

^ Agreed. I think it also depends on the wattage of your heater- as I remember seeing that heaters with a higher watt rage will heat faster depending on the size tank you have along with it... So it doesn't seem like too good of an idea to risk it- even more so if the heater happens to be faulty as well.
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #4 
cp6445

Thanks! I let it heat on its own- I took my boys out and heated the room up, not wanting to leave them at 58. But they are back in now after their water change and seem to be fine after acclimation- might have been a little fast but they don't seem stressed- and one tends to get prominent stress stripes at the littlest thing and he's ok so hopefully they will be fine.
cp6445 is offline   Reply With Quote