Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2012, 08:40 AM   #11 
laoshun

alright thanks, one more thing while raising water temp, is salt needed at all ? in case raising temperatures does not work
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:48 AM   #12 
kfish

You can try putting him in his cup or a tupperware container (don't fill it high enough that he can jump, or cover it with plastic wrap with a few holes poked in it) in 1 tsp/gallon salt. Float the container in his tank with the temperature up, so the temperature in the container will be the same. When I do this, I duct tape the container to the side of the tank to keep it floating and still (make sure to keep the tape out of the water). Pre-mix aquarium salt in a gallon jug. As long as it's the same water source and at the same temperature he's used to, it's okay to just net/cup him and put him in the salt water container.

So you can take him out of his tank and up the temperature, then acclimate him in his tank, then put him in the salt water. You can also just gradually up the temperature and leave him in the tank (about one degree an hour) then put him in the salt water.

If 1 tsp/gallon doesn't seem to be working, you can up it to 2, then 3, to a max of 5 (shouldn't need to do that, though). Make sure to change the water everyday in the container (to make this easier, I float two containers in the tank and switch the fish to the fresh one, then clean out the other and put water in it, and stick it back in). And remember, salt treatments for a maximum of 10 days only.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #13 
Pogthefish

Sounds like a parasite on the skin like ich or something. try aq salt if its white dots and if u shine a flashlight on it and it looks liek gold rust or something it mite be velvet or i forget wat thats called or ho to tret it.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #14 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I'd start with the tempeture increase, if it doesn't get better or starts getting worse, than you can start AQ salt. :)
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #15 
Pogthefish

use aq salt anyway just to be sure it kills off ich too just add one dose and 4get about it next water change
Old 04-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #16 
laoshun

Alright thanks, I wanted to ensure he stayed healthy because he's an energetic fish so hopefully it's not affecting him too much.
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:06 AM   #17 
Pogthefish

It wont