Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #1 
Psylk87

2 gallon tank too small?

I am considering gettign a female betta. Would a 2 gallon tank be too small for her? My male that I currently have is in a 5 gallon but I cant really afford the moeny or space for another 5 gallon. So I was thinking maybe a 2.5 or 3 gallon.
Psylk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:02 PM   #2 
Bettafeathers

I think it's all a matter of opinion. I have a 2.5 gal and a 5 gal, with a big male betta in each tank. For one female, I don't see any issue at all! Folks all have different opinions of appropriate tanks sizes for bettas though.
Bettafeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #3 
Fin2you

I have my bully female Violet in a 1.5-2gal filtered with Tetra 1-3gal Whisper filter, & heated with a BettaBowl sumbersable heater. After 2 unsuccessful attempts to introduce her to my sorority she's spent 5 days total in a 1gal fishbowl.... Until my cube tank opened up. She injured 1 of my other females Minnow pretty badly she may loose an eye. :( Personally she's lucky I moved her to the cube tank or for that matter gave her the 1gal bowl. I threatened her if Minnow didn't make it I was feeding her to the cats.
Fin2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #4 
Anitax3x

My smallest tank is a planted 1.75 gal rank. It houses my hmpk dragon and he loves it. Some people like big tanks but some of my guys get craxy and tail bite in spaces that are too big, others love the open space. It really depends on how you keep the quality of water
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #5 
Pitluvs

Yes, whats most important is the water quality. I would go with a 2g tank, you never know... you may be able to upgrade before you know it :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:10 AM   #6 
Bombalurina

Personally, I would keep the female in the bigger tank. They have shorter fins and swim better (and more) than the boys, so I like to give them the extra room. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:24 AM   #7 
laoshun

preference and how much you want to clean the tank and how much extra time you have to support your fish in a small space.
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:12 AM   #8 
BeckyFish97

I would say 2gal would be fine as long as it was heated, and you are prepared to do more water changes on this tank. With females being smaller they do swim a lot more than males but I don't think they would need quite as much space as a male would because their fins are smaller!
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:01 AM   #9 
bettanova2

Yeah, I also think 2G tank is fine for a betta, the most important thing is water quality always maintained..and of course a bigger tank is better..most people can keep more bettas separately with 2G tanks each..
bettanova2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #10 
Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Personally, I would keep the female in the bigger tank. They have shorter fins and swim better (and more) than the boys, so I like to give them the extra room. :)
I agree with you 100% female bettas have shorter fins, and are able to swim faster without getting very tired or resting. They are known to be very active compared to longer finned males so Ideally for best results I would aim fro a 5 gallon. but if you are going to use this tank. get a tank that has a very long footprint for her to swim. or you could get a long finned betta instead
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote