Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #1 
Aside

Urgent: Need to transport fish

So, I'm at school and I'm not really allowed to have fish. I have Dahli hidden in my room and no one is the wiser. The problem is we have a long weekend (Thursday afternoon to monday night) and I need to get him home somehow. I brought him here in a little tubberware container with an air hole cut out which was fine because my dad drove me. Unfortunately he can't come pick me up tomorrow and I have to take the train. A teacher is going to be driving us to the station so I can't just hold him in a cup like I intended.

This is what I thought of, but I don't want to harm Dahli so if this will be unsafe please tell me and I'll try and come up with something better.

I have a 32 oz water bottle. If I made sure it was super clean and filled it up halfway would it be safe for Dahli. Would that be enough air for him to not suffocate?

From door to door I think it will probably be about 3 hours. I'd put the bottle in my bag and fill the bag with soft things so the bottle didn't get pushed around too much.

I know that it will be stressful for him but I can't think of I better option. I don't want to leave him by himself for that long. I've been changing his water every 3-4 days and feeding him 2-3 times daily.

Thoughts?
Aside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:19 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

*Cringe* I'm sorry but when you said 32 oz bottle it reminded me of a horrific incident from my college years that involved a very unfortunate fish and a very irresponsible owner.

That aside (lol no pun intended), I would honestly just leave him. Betta can easily go a few days without eating. For the water changes, just do one before you leave and when you come back. He will be fine provided the electricity is left on at your school. I don't think the stress of moving him would be worth being able to take him home.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:25 PM   #3 
Tikibirds

I dont know if I would risk it on a train. Do you have to go through a security checkpoint or any X ray machines like at an airport? I wouldnt want to take him through something like that.

back in the day, when I was a freshman, I used to take greyhound from NY to Virginia because I went to old dominion university and back then there was no security for buses or trains but nowadays...ugh
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:33 PM   #4 
xjenuhfur

I wouldn't risk it, I would just leave him for a few days. I came home early this week too to have a long weekend, I just left my buddy at school. I fed him and did a water change. He should be okay for a few days by himself. If you've got a window, just leave the blinds open. So he gets some kind of sunlight. :)
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:56 PM   #5 
MadameDesu

I agree, just leave him. Now, it could be more tricky if they do room inspections.
At my school, they come in after you leave, inspect your room, and unplug everything.
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:07 AM   #6 
Aside

Alright, I guess I can leave him. It just makes me nervous. I left him last weekend for 48 hours and spent the whole time panicking. I had these terrible nightmares about horrific things happening.

Just to add on I don't have to go through security and I also realize I have a 64 oz container. That make a difference? Thursday to monday just seems like a long time.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #7 
thekoimaiden

Even in a larger container I don't think the stress on him is worth being able to keep a constant eye on him. Besides, what will you keep him in when you get home? Fish are more than fine for those few days. I only worry when I will be gone more than a week.

Another thing to think about: how would you heat his water on the ride home? The smaller the container of water, the faster it loses heat.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #8 
Aside

his heater actually broke. So his tank isn't heated at the moment. It broke once I got to school and I'm not allowed to leave campus. That's one of the things that I need to do this weekend. So either way he's going to be cold. If I take him home I can get him warmer sooner.

I have an extra kritter keeper from the hermit crab I had years ago. I scrubbed it with hot water and vinegar. That's where I was putting him for water changes.

I want what's best for him but I have to admit part of me is selfish because I don't want to spend my birthday freaking out about everything that could go wrong.

Obviously I'll put his welfare above my sanity.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #9 
Sivan

What kind of school is this? Sounds like a boarding school.

Honestly, with all things considered...next year you might want to consider not bringing him and letting your dad take care of him. Its not fair to you or your fish to have to live like this. Traveling with him will give him stress and risk his life if you can't keep him in his cup. Sometimes, even though you love your fish, its better not to have them with you if your situation does not allow for it.

That being said, I wouldn't risk it. I would leave him. Betta fish are perfectly capable of surviving a few days without water changes and food. Just feed him right before you go and make sure his water is clean as well.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #10 
Aside

thanks for the advice guys.

Sivan, I know what you mean and I feel terrible. I am at boarding school but I'm a senior and I'm graduating in less than two months so it's a pretty temporary situation. I know it's not ideal but I'm trying to do the best I can for the little guy. I'm also only leaving school once or twice between now and then but then there will be other people still on campus and I'll get one of my friends to look after him.