Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2012, 11:47 PM   #1 
Frazzle

Just starting out

Hi, I'm new here and I just bought my first crown Betta today. I am a little confused on what cycling is, so can someone clarify what that means? Also... I set up my 2.5 gal tank and forgot to wash everything first, but I'm waiting a day till I put my bettA in the tank.... Will the filter clean whatever is on the gravel? And how long can I keeP him in the pint? Size cup petamart gave me? I want tO put him in the tank but I'm afraid I may have tO start over:/
Frazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:54 PM   #2 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

Hi and welcome
To start in my opinion you dont need to cycle anything less then 5 gallon and you should wash everything, refill the tank, add water conditioner wait a couple of hours and put your betta in your tank.
You need a heater, if you dont have one get it ASAP and do 100% water changes weekly.
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:57 PM   #3 
thekoimaiden

Welcome to the forum and betta keeping! You don't have to worry about cycling as your tank is too small. If you like I can explain the specifics later.

Washing gravel just gets rid of all the dust that it often comes with. Do a water change before you add him and he should be all right.

Personally, I wouldn't have a filter in that small of a tank. It's honestly not going to do you any good as you can't cycle the tank. Plus, your long-finned betta won't enjoy being pushed around by it. Just do two water changes a week and you will be fine.

Because you are a newbie, here is a friendly checklist to make sure your betta will live a long healthy life:
- heater (this is very important!): an adjustable heater between 5 and 10 watts is preferred as betta like temperatures between 78F and 82F.
- water conditioner: add this to your tap water when you put it in your betta tank to make sure it is safe for him, even though chlorine doesn't hurt us, your betta won't like it
- thermometer: how will you know how warm the water is without it?
- cover or hiding spaces: the myth that betta don't like big tanks came from betta freaking out in large tanks without any cover. Well you wouldn't be too happy either if you were in a giant open space without anything to hide behind and faces coming at you from every angle

There are also "stickies" or threads at the top of each forum. Many of them contain a lot of good information about basic betta keeping. Checking them out is a great idea!
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:10 AM   #4 
jediwing

I'm new too. Congrats on getting your betta =D
jediwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:23 PM   #5 
Frazzle

My tank is a little cloudy :/ why???:( I'm very new to owning a fish
Old 04-10-2012, 11:32 PM   #6 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazzle View Post
My tank is a little cloudy :/ why???:( I'm very new to owning a fish
Did you buy gravel? Or sand? Or some sort of substrate?

Did you wash it thoroughly? If you didn't maybe that's why, or that the substrate has to just settle.

Pretty sure it's not bacterial bloom since your tank is new.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:36 PM   #7 
Frazzle

I got gravel and forgot to wash it :/