Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2012, 12:09 AM   #1 
OregonDreamsBettas

Unhappy Spawn trouble... fry are dying

Hi all... I am really worried... my fry are about a month old. I just did a 50% water change 2 days ago in a 15 gal tank. I have fed micro worms for the last few days. There were some left over tonight from last nights feeding. When i went in there were 4 on their sides. At least one is still breathing. What should I do?????
Thanks in advance ...
OregonDreamsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:13 AM   #2 
MrVampire181

Check your water parameters and do a water change and add some IAL.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:15 AM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

How did you add the water back in? At a month old, most fry are resilient enough to have it siphoned/gently poured in, but some of the weaker runts might be more susceptible to the shock of a change in water chemistry.

Have you tested your water to rule out it being a water quality issue?

Also, what are you feeding them besides MWs. MWs are pretty poor nutrition used on by themselves, and at a month old your fry should be large enough to take other foods such as BBS and possibly grindals.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:20 AM   #4 
OregonDreamsBettas

I haven't tested the water yet but I feed bbs once a week for 3 days until my shrimp die off then I go to micro worms again... one of the ones who died was big and I always add the water slowly so i doubt it was shock... I will check water in a few minutes.
Thanks again...
Old 04-10-2012, 12:34 AM   #5 
OregonDreamsBettas

Ok water quality is good. Ammonia nitrate and nitrites are 0.
On a side note ... the tank is in my daughters bedroom and when i went in there I disturbed her and she started sleep walking! Freaky!!!
Old 04-10-2012, 12:36 AM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

How many fries do you have?
I agree with MrV - check water pram

If all is good but they're still dieing, move them to another tank. 1 month fry can be temporarily housed 12 fry/g. I sometimes put them in IAL or chemical meds + Aq salt (half tsp/g) for a day or two while I clean tank. Clean everything - tank first. Fill tank, float the fry or check for temp - if temperature in both are the same, move healthy fry in..... 1 month don't need plants. So plants, filters, etc can follow later.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:38 AM   #7 
Pewmew

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonDreamsBettas View Post
Ok water quality is good. Ammonia nitrate and nitrites are 0.
On a side note ... the tank is in my daughters bedroom and when i went in there I disturbed her and she started sleep walking! Freaky!!!
that is super freaky, sleep walking always creeps me out, I think I watch too many scary movies so I get scare really easily. Mm... if you can tell which one is doing badly, maybe move them in a small cup but float it in the same tank, feed them separately and add stresscoat or IAL solution in that cup and see if they perk up. I did that with one of my babies that wasn't doing well and now he/she is completely cured and fat and happy :D hopefully it'll do the same with you
Pewmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:49 AM   #8 
ravenwinds

I agree w/ Indjo....I would do a complete clean of their surroundings...maybe something bad got in there during water change or feeding...testing won't show pathogens.
Good luck!
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:43 PM   #9 
OregonDreamsBettas

Well... two more deaths today but none yesterday. Still not fully sure what the problem is. I watched them a lot two nights ago and noticed that one had half of the caudal fin missing. And might have had some white dots on his head. I have done two 50% water changes and added stress coat a bit of salt and a few drops of melafix. So... I guess we will see how it goes. I counted over 30 fry. Hopefully we wont lose anymore...