betta fish

Old 03-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #1 
Creat

Extremely advanced finrot

Water Temp: 80* F
Last time cleaned: week ago
Size of tank: 5 gal
Medications: AQ salt, Maracyn 2, hydrogen peroxide treatment

I know I know I have been skimping on water changes... I have been packing to move so my fish are stacked on shelves and boxes randomly this is where the problem came from. She had been acting normally and still is swimming around but I noticed 2 days ago she had gotten fin rot bad I hadn't noticed due to the move. I promptly moved her to a 2 gal and added more aq salt (as they always have some in the water) and maracyn 2. Yesterday it was worse so I did a hydrogen peroxide treatment on her fins. Today the spots in her skin are growing but her fins are the same, the hydrogen peroxide worked to destroy the fungus near her body and i did a thirty second follow up treatment of the places I couldnt reach before. She also got a little bit less then 50% water change this morning. I know that she might be beyond saving but she is still actively swimming about but as soon as she gives up then I will try to euthanize her as best as possible. This finrot is moving faster then most that I have ever known.
THree pics from yesterday and the last two from today:
Attachment 49705

Attachment 49706

Attachment 49707

Attachment 49708

Attachment 49709
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #2 
vilmarisv

The picture links don't work.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #3 
callistra

If it's moving very quickly try to find Kanaplex or Maracyn Plus instead of Maracyn 2.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #4 
Creat

Sad news the heater was unplugged and she died... gah I hate moving :( I decided to repost the pics anyway incase the female she was with gets it too...
Name:  IMG_0221.JPG
Views: 143
Size:  32.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0228.JPG
Views: 142
Size:  30.8 KB
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #5 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creat View Post
Water Temp: 80* F
Last time cleaned: week ago
Size of tank: 5 gal
Medications: AQ salt, Maracyn 2, hydrogen peroxide treatment

I know I know I have been skimping on water changes... I have been packing to move so my fish are stacked on shelves and boxes randomly this is where the problem came from. She had been acting normally and still is swimming around but I noticed 2 days ago she had gotten fin rot bad I hadn't noticed due to the move. I promptly moved her to a 2 gal and added more aq salt (as they always have some in the water) and maracyn 2. Yesterday it was worse so I did a hydrogen peroxide treatment on her fins. Today the spots in her skin are growing but her fins are the same, the hydrogen peroxide worked to destroy the fungus near her body and i did a thirty second follow up treatment of the places I couldnt reach before. She also got a little bit less then 50% water change this morning. I know that she might be beyond saving but she is still actively swimming about but as soon as she gives up then I will try to euthanize her as best as possible. This finrot is moving faster then most that I have ever known.
THree pics from yesterday and the last two from today:
I'm sorry you lost her :(

One word though of advice though.. keeping them in AQ salt will cause kidney/liver failures, not to mention cause the bacteria (such as that of rot) to become resistant to the salt.. so treating in salt will become pretty much useless.
It sounds like you had done all you could, but she was just too far gone :(
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #6 
BETTACHKALOVE

Just want to say that fin rot can be bacterial secondary to fungus so you really don't need 80*. You need to lower temperature actually. Fungas always get worse with warmer temperature. I am wondering what was the temperature without heater. One time i cleaned my tank and forgat to plug in one of my bettas heater . It was winter and the temperature all night like 64* and betta in the morning was just fine. And it happened to me about i think 3 times with different betta. 2 other fish i had axident when my heaters malfanctioned. So i don't think your betta died from the temperature unless it was below 64*. She proboblly had agressive fin rot . Make sure you don't share anything between your other fish if you have one. Also diseanfect the tank if you going to put another betta in the same tank. There is special instructions on diseanfection....
Sorry for your loss:(
Good luck.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote