Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #1 
betaICS

Fluval Spec - Filter too strong

Anyone have any ideas on how to mod the fluval spec to
1.) reduce the intake of water

and

2.) outflow of water

The current of the filter is too strong for my Betta and I find him being pulled to the filter.

Pictures would be nice if you have any :)
betaICS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:25 AM   #2 
betaICS

anybody?
betaICS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I know this is late but I'm going to bump this to get some answers.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #4 
Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by betaICS View Post
Anyone have any ideas on how to mod the fluval spec to
1.) reduce the intake of water
Wrapping Arne a small sponge, secured with a rubber band should work magnificently
and

2.) outflow of water
Placing a small sponge over the outtake of the filter should also work. But for another idea, there is a sticky under this sub forum for baffling the filter with a water bottle

The current of the filter is too strong for my Betta and I find him being pulled to the filter.

Pictures would be nice if you have any :)
Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
Since most filters require a filter baffle to work for bettas, I figured I'd show a step-by-step tutorial on how to build one from an ordinary water bottle. Make sure that the bottle is clean and contained only water prior to using. Rinse in HOT water, but never bleach or use soap that could be absorbed by the plastic.

Step 1: You will need a water bottle, as shown below, scissors, and a piece of tape. Pretty simple right .

Attachment 4378

Step2: Measure the approximate area of your filter outflow so you know how long the baffle will need to be cut.

Attachment 4380

Step 3: Measure the amount of water bottle that you will need to cut. Note, do NOT use marker to mark your bottle unless you are certain to cut any marked areas off. I used sharpie just for the purpose of making it easy to see in pictures. A small slit in the plastic is the easiest way to mark the bottle.

Attachment 4381

Step 4: Cut both ends off of the bottle so that you are left with the middle piece that you marked off.

Attachment 4382
Attachment 4383

Step 5: Now you will need to cut the remaining ring lengthwise

Attachment 4384
Attachment 4385

Step 6: Stretch one end of the curved plastic over the bottom lip of the outflow area, and tape the other end to the cover to keep it in place. Now when the water flows out it will hit the plastic and be redirected to the sides with much less force. Now plug your filter in and watch as you now have no surface current, but still have a filtered tank .

Attachment 4386
Attachment 4387
Attachment 4388
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:44 AM   #5 
Thunderloon

Erm... Fluval Spec is a rear-sump type with a jet return. It's a very pretty little tank but I can't figure out why the person who designed the filter layout was allowed to live...

The primary problem is that the rear filter was designed to handle more bio-load than you can fit in the little space left in the tank. These "nano" companies always take the total volume of the tank then design a filter for that and then WEDGE IT IN.

Best solution I can come up with is pretty drastic but simple. Take both the ceramic nuggets and carbon bag out of the sponge... since neither does anything. Get a cube of high density foam with a hole through it that will fit down above the pump with the hose through it and take out the entire elbow-knob and return thing. Stick it all together with the pump on its lowest setting. Just let the pump push the water up behind the plate and flow out the hole there.

I actually used the right-angle valve and spray bar from a Fluval submersible filter which I altered to be attached to a modified Penguin 100b as a return bio-wheel hack.

I aimed the little jets up, disturbs the surface nicely.

Make sure to keep the little Spec almost brimming with water so fishy doesn't decide to sleep against the skimmer slots or have strips of his fins sucked off by the little bypass slot below.

Now... mine. I cut the sponge thing up and put a U of sponge on the bottom, stuck a little tetra fixed heater in above that then used a rectangular chunk of sponge just at the top behind the slots. I removed the existing elbow and attached that fluval submersible's elbow and jet-pipe. Tank is still tiny but Muffin likes it
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote