Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #1 
jjensen187

My betta fish is ill

I have a halfmoon male betta fish in a 1.5 gallon tank with a small filter on it.

I've had a recent ongoing problem with him. He used to swim around and be active but for about the past month hes been sitting at the bottom of the tank, rarely moving. I feed him but he doesn't swim up to eat. To be honest idk how hes still alive since I never see him eat. I tried to feed him a skinned pea but he shows no interest. The water is fine and I do water changes every few weeks. Also his fins are alot frailer and a little curled around the edges. I've been dosing small amounts of melafix but doesnt seem to be working, he still just sits at the bottom of the tank. What could be wrong with him?!
jjensen187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #2 
Leeniex

In a 1.5 gallon, he needs at least one 50% and one 100% change a week, with conditioner added. He also needs a heater.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:05 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

Quote:
The water is fine and I do water changes every few weeks
In order to keep ammonia levels down, water needs to be changed weekly - even with a filter.

And the pea thing is more for goldfish when they are constipated. Bettas can go 3 or so weeks without eating.

First stop the melefix or bettafix. Many say its a miracle drug but there are just as many people claiming it has killed their betta. Its main ingredient is a tree oil which can damage the organ the betta uses to breathe air.

I would do a water change and clean the gravel of any debris. I think clean, conditioned water would be the first step.

Fragil fins? What do they look like? Do they have holes or a ragged look to them? If so he may have fin rot, ammonia burns or both. Clean water will help both.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #4 
jjensen187

I'll get on the water changes more frequently. His fins are like ragged and frail, like he used to have a nice full set of fine with white all around the edges but the white is completely gone.

Is it possible for him to make a recovery with frequent water changes?
Old 04-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #5 
laoshun

sometimes there is alot of crap that gets caught in gravel, and that creates alot of waste even with the water changes (and filter) because the space is so small. I experienced this with one of my halfmoons in their smaller 2.5 gallon because i was unaware of my plant debris(or even poop etc).
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #6 
Leeniex

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjensen187 View Post
I'll get on the water changes more frequently. His fins are like ragged and frail, like he used to have a nice full set of fine with white all around the edges but the white is completely gone.

Is it possible for him to make a recovery with frequent water changes?
He could. You could also try 1 tsp/gallon of aquarium salt and do 100% water changes for 10 days. It helps my guys when I notice their fins looking raggedy.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #7 
jjensen187

1 tsp of aquarium salt for a 1.5 gallon tank? Do I add the salt after every 100% water change?
Old 04-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #8 
Leeniex

Yes, I dissolve it in very hot water first. Make sure it's all dissolved before adding it.