Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #11 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by a123andpoof View Post
I have been talking to OFL about doing one of these. I love the idea and I can only imagine how much better it must be for the fish! And they look amazing. This is the plan for me new tank. Around how many plants will I need to get this started so it actually works? And then would a 25w bulb work or will I need more or less? And what is that grass like stuff you have? I love it. I would like to get away with no fertilizer or CO2. And I also plan on going filter less. And just having the heater.
25W might even be TOO much for a 5g. Talk to OFL about that, for sure. There's more into it than just wattage and I know she has/has had 5g NPTs without filters. She can probably tell you the exact brand name of the bulb that would work best.

Sky is absolutely FLOURISHING in his NPT... you wouldn't even know he's 2 years old, because his colors get more vibrant everyday. It's so stable with perfect water quality for them.

You'll need quite a few fast growing stem plants to start out with. Frogbit, anacharis, hornwort (I hate hornwort and don't particularly recommend it), java moss, wisteria, water sprite would be good starting points with that (you can go with just one or two of those types, of course). There are other plants you can use, too. If you Google and research walstad planted tank or natural planted tank you'll get a longer list and some pictures that show just how much people used. You'll need a decent bit, but not a tankful.

I have 3 types of grass, haha. The tiny hairy stuff is dwarf hair grass (http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscent...-dwarfhg01.htm). I got it last month and it's starting to grow like crazy. I want it to carpet the whole bottom, and it's on its way to doing that.

The mid-size grass is dwarf sagittaria (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...827&pcatid=827).

The tall, crazy growing grass is vallisneria (http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscent...nt-itval03.htm). GET SOME! XD It's REALLY good for a NPT to keep the anaerobic pockets down, because it spreads like wildfire and each tuft has a pretty extensive root system. Root systems eliminate the pockets. I also recommend amazon sword for that (that's the huge green plant in my picture on the right side). You might not like how big it gets in a five gallon, though... it gets huge, as you can see. Can always prune it down.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #12 
kfish

The soil type recommended by Diana Walstad herself is Miracle Grow Organic Potting Mix. That's what I used... you'll want to let it air out on a tarp/garbage bag for a day and pick out the big sticks and rocks. OFL uses dirt from her yard but I don't trust my parents' yard dirt, since my father sprays stuff out there, lol. For sand cap, you can just use play sand to keep costs down. I wanted black sand, but it made it eeexpeensiiivee. I think there -are- some darker play sands, though.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #13 
a123andpoof

Okay, will write down a list for when I go to petsmart. I am really exited about starting this. I just hope Koi likes it as he seems content in his 1 gallon. I was planning on getting at least 1 amazon sword as I really like it. Thanks for all the help! Anything else you can think of to add would be awesome. I am hoping to get the things in the next few days.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #14 
a123andpoof

I am planning on using some dirt. I know some places that haven't been sprayed and that my chickens haven't gotten to yet.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #15 
kfish

Quote:
I am planning on using some dirt. I know some places that haven't been sprayed and that my chickens haven't gotten to yet.
Haha, awesome! I want chickensssss. XD
Old 04-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #16 
kfish

Oh! And definitely consult OFL about other plants you can use to start it out. She'll know what's cheap and what works because she's done this so many times.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #17 
a123andpoof

I love my chickens. And I am just waiting for her to reply to my last message. She and you have been ever so helpful though! I just worry about doing something wrong and harming Koi in the process.
I have started a short list, and hope that one of the few petsmarts near me will have some of these and I will be able to get them for under $25. Not sure if it is possible or not.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #18 
kfish

Quote:
I love my chickens. And I am just waiting for her to reply to my last message. She and you have been ever so helpful though! I just worry about doing something wrong and harming Koi in the process.
I have started a short list, and hope that one of the few petsmarts near me will have some of these and I will be able to get them for under $25. Not sure if it is possible or not.
A lot of people, including OFL, add fish the same day. But they've also done this a lot... As long as you wait to make sure you've got no ammonia and keep an eye on it and nitrite and nitrate (there will be a bit of a biofilter in the soil, so check for nitrite, too), Koi will be fine!
Old 04-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #19 
a123andpoof

Okay thanks!
Old 04-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #20 
Geomancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfish View Post
The difference is a NPT has soil, whereas a plain planted tank is just sand or gravel.
This is something I strongly disagree with, there is nothing unnatural in using sand or gravel and there are numerous places in the regions these fish and plants live that are sandy or rocky.

Success can be had using either substrate, with equal effort. Soil is actually one of the most difficult substrates to work with initially, and isn't something I would recommend to someone doing their first planted tank. If you like to start with hard and want the challenge go for it. I've nothing against people using soil in their substrates but I suppose it is a pet peeve of mine for people to say it's better, or it's easier. It isn't, success can be just as easy with plain gravel/sand.

As a case in point I'll reference another users tank that is low tech and uses regular play sand for a substrate: Amazonian Riverscape 115g - 115 gallon Freshwater fish tank

In regards to the use of fertilizers, only substrate rooted plants will benefit from nutrients in the substrate. All other plants get their nutrients from the water column.

A good place to start is here: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/a...um-part-34861/

Tropicalfishkeeping.com is the parent site of bettafish.com, this is only a small sub-forum of a much larger community. It's a good place to go if you want more specific advice on aquarium plants with several knowledgeable people. You probably don't even need to make a new account to post there, since they are technically the same site. At least I don't, but I created my account there.
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote