Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2012, 07:14 AM   #71 
a123andpoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
To answer the plant question: I lost the majority of the wisteria in my daughter's tank which is filterless (her fish has a stupid amount of fin and hates any filter flow) - and the cryptos started looking mushy, too. I transferred them to my filtered tank and they've recovered really well.

The java fern grew happily in the unfiltered, though, and even put out a bunch of new leaves.

a123andpoof - you can leave the wisteria planted.. sooner or later it'll need a trim and then you leave the cuttings to float. Just thinking, it might be better than tearing up the roots and disturbing your substrate, since it's really meant to be planted anyhow.
Thanks for the heads up. If they start to look bad I will transfer them to my 10 gallon. My goal is to try and make this filterless. If I really need to I can get a few plants from walmart or possibly get to a petsmart.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #72 
a123andpoof

Checked about an hour ago and there were no nitites and my ammonia was the same. Though I think it may have gone up just a little. I will check before work and see.
With all the live plants I have even though it may not be NPT and without a filter what would water changes look like? I may or may not still run the filter. Still considering.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #73 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by a123andpoof View Post
Checked about an hour ago and there were no nitites and my ammonia was the same. Though I think it may have gone up just a little. I will check before work and see.
With all the live plants I have even though it may not be NPT and without a filter what would water changes look like? I may or may not still run the filter. Still considering.
I think you might have enough plants. We'll, see though. It depends how well they do, as well. Water changes are different in every situation. With all of those plants, though, I don't think you'll have to do more than 2 50% a week. Maybe even 1 50% a week. You'll have to experiment with it to know for sure, though. Just do water checks. ;)
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #74 
a123andpoof

That would be awsome! OFL suggested running my filter for the first week to a month, and someones else said they just ran it at night. I wonder if running it only at night would work for the wisteria.
Another concern I have is I have a heater but it is only heating to the low 70's. My plan is to use Koi's heater, but obviously I can't take that away from him. Any suggestions? Or do you think it would be safe to put Koi in if I watch the water params closely? This weekend each day their will be only around 6 hours at a time I can't watch, but I can always check stuff in evening and morning and around afternoon. I just don't want the plants to get to cold and die on me.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #75 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by a123andpoof View Post
That would be awsome! OFL suggested running my filter for the first week to a month, and someones else said they just ran it at night. I wonder if running it only at night would work for the wisteria.
Another concern I have is I have a heater but it is only heating to the low 70's. My plan is to use Koi's heater, but obviously I can't take that away from him. Any suggestions? Or do you think it would be safe to put Koi in if I watch the water params closely? This weekend each day their will be only around 6 hours at a time I can't watch, but I can always check stuff in evening and morning and around afternoon. I just don't want the plants to get to cold and die on me.
If ammonia/nitrite are still the same tomorrow, or have gone down, go ahead and add Koi and keep watching the parameters. Definitely listen to OFL- add the filter, especially if you add Koi, so he can have a cycle if it doesn't work out. You can always remove it later.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #76 
a123andpoof

Okay thanks. I will add Koi tomorrow, and start the filter tonight and see what happens. And will definatly keep an eye on parameters. Also will post pics of him in the tank and what it looks like with everything planted.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #77 
a123andpoof

Hey I just wanted to post an update on how Koi is liking his tank! And I think you will see he is quite pleased!

When I first bought him:

A month later and up until he moved in to the 5g minus a ripped tail here and there:

Yesterday:

And the tank

The grass and the other plants I had in there died. Everything else is doing well. I am going to be planting more wisteria? I think that what it was as it grows and put it in the empty space. But yeah he couldn't happier. I don't think I have ever seen him this happy. He looks amazing and had stopped his tail biting!
Old 05-22-2012, 08:42 AM   #78 
Aus

WOW - Koi is looking wonderful! What a difference a good life can make to a little fish. His colours are really showing through now. Your tank looks wonderful, btw! I like the bridge with the plants, it looks very peaceful. :)

If you want to add a different plant, you might have luck with a little anubias or java fern attached to a small piece of driftwood. Both are okay with low-tech conditions, both a bit slow to thrive compared to wisteria, but I've done well with those. I'd probably quarantine the piece though, for about two weeks. The wood may add a little tannin, but that won't hurt Koi.

I'm glad it's going well for you, and to see your fishy looking happy and healthy!
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #79 
teeneythebetta

What a beautiful fish, and beautiful tank!

Thanks for the thread, I've learned a lot through reading these 8 pages. :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #80 
a123andpoof

Aus I would love to get some java moss, but I haven't found it yet. But am continueing to look. I am thrilled though for my first tank. Its not a NPT like I had hoped, but it still only needs small water changes each week so I am happy.

Yes he is so happy! And that makes me happy. I would like to do a few more with live plants. Maybe not as many, but just to add a few to replace all the fakes.

And glad this thread helped you! And thanks.