Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #21 
Bombalurina
Member
 
Bombalurina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameDesu View Post
I don't think anyone meant to be demeaning, and I'm sorry if I came across that way.
It makes more sense now that you mention the goldfish. If you had said "cheaper than a goldfish" instead of just "cheap", it would have been easier to understand what you were looking for.
Sorry!
+1. Just saying "cheap" with no qualifiers...well, it's the kind of question you see on Yahoo Answers from people who want to spend $20 on a kind of set-it-and-forget-it pet. No offence intended - we know you aren't like that because of the care you take of your fish.

The trouble is, there isn't really a good trade-off between cheap and affectionate. As Sparky said, rats are really cheap to start off with ($100 can get a good cage in the US and the rats are usually about $20 for 2) but you end up spending heaps over their lifetime. Same with most mammals. Then you have the flipside on reptiles that are generally really expensive to set up, but cheaper to maintain.


I suppose a decent compromise would be mice. A ten-twenty gallon tank, a packet of Carefresh, some nice toys (really cheap - cardboard boxes, DIY fleecy hammocks, PVC pipes) and a good diet shouldn't set you back too far. They are very cute and intelligent little critters. You can train them to be relatively affectionate (not nearly in the same league as rats, but not bad).
On the downside, they do start out pretty timid and don't live very long. :(
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:39 PM   #22 
finnfinnfriend
Member
 
finnfinnfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
+1. Just saying "cheap" with no qualifiers...well, it's the kind of question you see on Yahoo Answers from people who want to spend $20 on a kind of set-it-and-forget-it pet. No offence intended - we know you aren't like that because of the care you take of your fish.

The trouble is, there isn't really a good trade-off between cheap and affectionate. As Sparky said, rats are really cheap to start off with ($100 can get a good cage in the US and the rats are usually about $20 for 2) but you end up spending heaps over their lifetime. Same with most mammals. Then you have the flipside on reptiles that are generally really expensive to set up, but cheaper to maintain.


I suppose a decent compromise would be mice. A ten-twenty gallon tank, a packet of Carefresh, some nice toys (really cheap - cardboard boxes, DIY fleecy hammocks, PVC pipes) and a good diet shouldn't set you back too far. They are very cute and intelligent little critters. You can train them to be relatively affectionate (not nearly in the same league as rats, but not bad).
On the downside, they do start out pretty timid and don't live very long. :(
Yeah I am sorry I was so vague. I meant in the 100-200 dollar initial set up. Of course I'm willing to spend for matinence over it's lifetime . I was thinking maybe a parakeet. I heard they are very smart and affectionate...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:05 AM   #23 
sparkyjoe
Member
 
sparkyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Ohio, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Yeah, apparently I won't be asking for opinions on this forum anymore because people like to give rude and assuming responses.
Just some advice, but never post a question on a public forum if you're not willing to field lots of opinions both positive and negative.

Think of all the folks who post asking for advice on their fish only to get jumped on for their tank being overstocked. Or the member who posts questions about breeding and gets overwhelmingly negative responses.

I'm sorry if you're having a bad day but I think you need to re-read my posts for what they are, and not point fingers or get angry and frustrated because you were less than clear in your original post.

I'm more than willing to offer ideas but I don't know you well enough to know what you would like, your financial situation, or room you have available, so it's tough.

You say you can't have pet rats, so I assume there's a good reason, but it's too bad. I had my girls when I lived in my own apartment so I didn't have anyone disagreeing with my choice. They are wonderful, clean, sweet, SMART little critters and it would be nice if you had that as an option.

After the cleanliness of my pet rats, I gotta say I'm repulsed by the strong odor of pet mice, but they are cute.

Many folks would say gerbil, but I had one sink it's teeth into my finger and hold on when I was a child, so I'm not a fan.

I have no experience with hamsters or guinea pigs.

There are lots of options but it will depend on what you're looking for.

Oh, and once you've got some ideas for a pet, a cost saving option is to check your local Craigslist to see if anyone is trying to re-home what you're looking for (I saw someone listing a panda hamster with cage, water bottle and feed dish, wheel, and litter for $50).

Just an idea. Good luck.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:10 AM   #24 
sparkyjoe
Member
 
sparkyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Ohio, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Yeah I am sorry I was so vague. I meant in the 100-200 dollar initial set up. Of course I'm willing to spend for matinence over it's lifetime . I was thinking maybe a parakeet. I heard they are very smart and affectionate...
Wow, that's not terribly cheap, that amount gives you lots of options.

As for parakeets, They are nice, but can be "chatty" and they can BITE like the dickens! Be sure to get a young one and they are more likely to bond with you. Oh, and don't make my mistake and get two because they may end up bonding to each other rather than to you.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:11 AM   #25 
MollyJean
Member
 
MollyJean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: East Tennessee
Sea Monkeys. 5-15 bucks for everything you need :)

But seriously, if you can't have mice, I doubt you can have snakes, but they really are fascinating, and for the right ones, inexpensive. A used setup on Craigslist can run as low as 50 bucks and a snake can be about the same. You said 100-200 dollars, and that's what you're looking at with a common snake.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:24 AM   #26 
finnfinnfriend
Member
 
finnfinnfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyjoe View Post
Wow, that's not terribly cheap, that amount gives you lots of options.

As for parakeets, They are nice, but can be "chatty" and they can BITE like the dickens! Be sure to get a young one and they are more likely to bond with you. Oh, and don't make my mistake and get two because they may end up bonding to each other rather than to you.
Thank you. Sorry I lost my temper. I've just seen so much of what you mentioned (people getting bashed for being overstocked, etc) and it just upsets me because it kind of looks, well, mean. But I know everyone is just trying to help.

Oh believe me I have been bitten, scratched, kicked, headbutted and nipped at lol. I think I could handle a few bites while he's getting used to me. The chattiness might be a problem but only at night. Do they sleep at night? It doesnt really matter if its noisy during the day.

I heard they like a lot of attention and I am home pretty much all day everyday and would like to hold it while I am on the computer :)
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:27 AM   #27 
finnfinnfriend
Member
 
finnfinnfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyJean View Post
Sea Monkeys. 5-15 bucks for everything you need :)

But seriously, if you can't have mice, I doubt you can have snakes, but they really are fascinating, and for the right ones, inexpensive. A used setup on Craigslist can run as low as 50 bucks and a snake can be about the same. You said 100-200 dollars, and that's what you're looking at with a common snake.
I love snakes! I don't think the bf's mom likes em though....plus they require a few power sources and my betta is already hooked up to a few so I dont want to use up too much energy, ya know?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:31 AM   #28 
Bombalurina
Member
 
Bombalurina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Australia
If I was going for a bird, I'd definitely agree with getting some sort of parrot. I love the way canaries sing and quails do the funny walk, but a well-handled, well-socialised parrot is so much fun. I love cockatiels for how cheeky they are. I'd also consider rainbow lorrikeets, but I don't know if they are available in the US, being an Australian native.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:36 AM   #29 
Aluyasha
Member
 
Aluyasha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Thank you. Sorry I lost my temper. I've just seen so much of what you mentioned (people getting bashed for being overstocked, etc) and it just upsets me because it kind of looks, well, mean. But I know everyone is just trying to help.

Oh believe me I have been bitten, scratched, kicked, headbutted and nipped at lol. I think I could handle a few bites while he's getting used to me. The chattiness might be a problem but only at night. Do they sleep at night? It doesnt really matter if its noisy during the day.

I heard they like a lot of attention and I am home pretty much all day everyday and would like to hold it while I am on the computer :)
Do you mean parakeet as in small bird (what parakeet the word means) or parakeet as in budgie? I assume you mean Budgie. :)
Yes they do sleep at night, just put a cover over their cage when it is time to go to bed. Also, you should consider getting it a friend, birds are very social toward eachother. Sometimes when they are alone human companionship is not enough. You can get just one but keep an eye out for possible lonliness. :)
How about a cockatiel? They are fine alone and have the friendliness of budgies but easier training and not as skittish. Plus some you can teach to talk. I remember hearing a story from a friend who used to have one, the bird would land on his table and knock stuff off. When my friend would get mad and tell the cockatiel to stop the bird would say "no thanks, I love you". It was the cutest thing. lol
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:42 AM   #30 
sparkyjoe
Member
 
sparkyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Ohio, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Thank you. Sorry I lost my temper. I've just seen so much of what you mentioned (people getting bashed for being overstocked, etc) and it just upsets me because it kind of looks, well, mean. But I know everyone is just trying to help.

Oh believe me I have been bitten, scratched, kicked, headbutted and nipped at lol. I think I could handle a few bites while he's getting used to me. The chattiness might be a problem but only at night. Do they sleep at night? It doesnt really matter if its noisy during the day.

I heard they like a lot of attention and I am home pretty much all day everyday and would like to hold it while I am on the computer :)
No problem. I'm sorry if I came across strong, it really wasn't my intention. I'm sitting here with a migraine and probably wasn't as careful as I should have been with my wording.

I have to laugh at the "bitten, scratched, kicked, headbutted and nipped" comments, I mean ain't that the truth?!?!? Ah, the joys of being an animal lover.

Yes, my 'keets liked to chatter, but covering their cage was a great help with that.

I really like the looks of the slightly larger birds like a cockatiel. I understand a single love bird will bond with their person rather than another bird, but they need plenty of time each day or they will pine.

Again, craigslist is a great place to find bird cages and possibly even a pet bird.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.