Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #71 
Hanky

Well are you leaning towards any specific sort of pet? sounds like you want something you can hold or interact with daily, like hands on. I would love a ferret myself but I'm pretty sure you cant have them there which is ridiculous, But anyway, I had parakeets/ budgies when I was in my teens, they are great little pets just get them very young and have patients with them, you have to let them warm up to you, never reach in the cage and grab them that is there home and they feel safe there you dont want to intrude I used to let them fly around and get exercise just make sure all windows and doors are closed, I lost one that way, cover them at night and they are quiet, when they see the sun up they do get chatty, if you like to sleep in in the mourning you dont want one in your room. I've also had Cockatiels and they wer very affectionate but require the same patients and are less noisey,. I like finchs but they are not as hands on.
Hanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #72 
Bettaluver4evr

Not sure if you decided certainly on a pet, but you want something small, quiet, inexpensive and good with handling, correct? I highly reccomend leopard geckos. They haven't been mentioned yet. :) Thought I'd throw my 2 bit in. I have 2 leopard geckos, and they don't make a sound except when they sneeze, which is quite adorable. They are active and there are hundreds of unique morphs and colors. Most are fairly cheap, with the actual animal costing $30-60 from a reptile expo or store, and the designer geckos run more expensive but are much more unique. The tank costs $30, decor is usually $30 and a heat mat is $20 but you can improvise alot! :) They eat worms and crickets but mealworms can be refridgerated, very handy. :) If you handle them often they love to come out and explore. Mine are very fond of mazes. :) Just a thought! I probably spent $80 on initial setup for one gecko, $120 on the next because I needed to upgrade to a new tank, get a few more decorations and the actual gecko. :) Not so bad.
A ten gallon tank is fine for one gecko.
Attached Images

Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #73 
Hanky

Thats an awesome picture, looks like hes winking at ya, lol. Although I've never had one I hear they make awesome pets, I think most people think of them as put in a tank and dont touch but they do deserve a look at and consideration.
Nice pet you have there Bettaluver.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #74 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky View Post
Well are you leaning towards any specific sort of pet? sounds like you want something you can hold or interact with daily, like hands on. I would love a ferret myself but I'm pretty sure you cant have them there which is ridiculous, But anyway, I had parakeets/ budgies when I was in my teens, they are great little pets just get them very young and have patients with them, you have to let them warm up to you, never reach in the cage and grab them that is there home and they feel safe there you dont want to intrude I used to let them fly around and get exercise just make sure all windows and doors are closed, I lost one that way, cover them at night and they are quiet, when they see the sun up they do get chatty, if you like to sleep in in the mourning you dont want one in your room. I've also had Cockatiels and they wer very affectionate but require the same patients and are less noisey,. I like finchs but they are not as hands on.
I'm thinking about maybe a cockatiel now...Are they more affectionate than budgies?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #75 
Hanky

IMO yes the cockatiel I had was more affectionate , you also want to make sure you get one that is Hand Raised, this means they have been touched and feed by hand since they were born, they are more friendly to humans. I never had luck teaching him to talk but he did do a number of different whistles.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #76 
MadameDesu

Just want to say ... my only experience with budgies were the ones at my friend's house. They would chatter all day unless you threw a towel over them, the little buggers.
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #77 
Termato

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
I'm thinking about maybe a cockatiel now...Are they more affectionate than budgies?
Here is the main thing most people don't realize before buying a snake or bird. They live a long time. This pet is going to live between 15 to 30 years depending on care. If you really took care of it depending on the species it could grow to be much older.

I just wanted to put that out there.

If you are looking for a not so long term investment you should consider something like smaller fish, Chameleons or smaller reptiles, Mice, Gerbils, Hamsters, hermit crabs, frogs, stuff like that.

If you really handle mice every day, especially if you get them really young they will get cuddly. Frogs would be cool! My favorite ofc...fish.

You can get a really nice tank set up for under $200...$150 even. :D craigslist!

Good luck!
Termato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #78 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Termato View Post
Here is the main thing most people don't realize before buying a snake or bird. They live a long time. This pet is going to live between 15 to 30 years depending on care. If you really took care of it depending on the species it could grow to be much older.

I just wanted to put that out there.

If you are looking for a not so long term investment you should consider something like smaller fish, Chameleons or smaller reptiles, Mice, Gerbils, Hamsters, hermit crabs, frogs, stuff like that.

If you really handle mice every day, especially if you get them really young they will get cuddly. Frogs would be cool! My favorite ofc...fish.

You can get a really nice tank set up for under $200...$150 even. :D craigslist!

Good luck!
Thank you for the info!

I know birds live a long time and that's why Im freaking out over what to name him! haha

I actually have a good chance of getting a job soon so money isn't even really a problem anymore! This is extra good because now I can find a good vet for my birdie!
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #79 
Termato

Do you have a picture of him? Have you gotten him already?
Termato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #80 
Cinderwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
+1. No pets are cheap if you are doing it properly. You've always got the cost of cages, food, vet bills, bedding etc.
Exactly. My 10 dollar rats have cost me over 300 dolalrs.. and I haven't even needed the vet much.

Edit:: Gosh I didnt even see that there was a second page. haha

Edit again: Wow okay I really didnt see there were 5 pages, my comment is so pointless now tha tI read it HAHA Sorry bout that! i am glad you decided on a cute bridy, I have always kinda wanted one myself.

Last edited by Cinderwolf; 04-19-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Cinderwolf is offline   Reply With Quote