Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2012, 09:34 AM   #11 
erinandares

I took Erasmos out of the water. His entire left side turned black. Bad sign, I assume. :/

Maybe he turned black but the others didn't because he was in the water longer? He's the last one left. And maybe the snail.
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:36 AM   #12 
frazier71

I think you should let it sit a while with vaccumed gravel and cycle it. If its a bacteria or fungus it will die with out fish. Just let it sit running for a few weeks. I had the same problem in my 40 gallon I cleaned everything and let it re cycle and when it was done started with some small fish to make sure it was okay
frazier71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #13 
Sena Hansler

Did you sterilize between new fish? I use vinegar and hot water, rinsed well afterwards with water... especially after an unexplained death. Anything contaminated could've crossed between BOTH tanks... nets, siphons, cups, even your hands touching the contaminated water and the other tank's water.

also I see you said you had (pluralized) bettas in your 20? were they together? divided? different times? Just makin' sure

Black usually says rot, dying matter, or burns.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:02 AM   #14 
BeckyFish97

Was the betta that turned black a blue betta?If so go to this: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90086 page, it may explain more.
As for the orange it sounds like a bacterial infection.
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #15 
Sena Hansler

depends how long it took to take the host, for that if it were a blue and it has been noted there has been non-blues who got it, just it seems to reoccur in blues more (been there done that three blues...) My one blue had the yellow/orange starting which is triggered by large decaying matter, such as us when we have a wound and it goes yellow around the edges... may not be an infection, but it's the weakening of tissue around dead matter

You have pics of the others?
Old 04-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #16 
erinandares

Yes it was divided into 3. 5 left, 10 center, 5 right.

I didn't sterilize between uses, but I haven't had to use anything on another tank, yet. Except the 2.5, and that betta was brand new. I just used to net to scoop out his dead body. He might have died of shock, though... Maybe?

I'm 99% sure Erasmos is going to die. And if he doesn't pass within a few hours, I'm putting him down. Poor guy is on his last leg, so to speak. :c I think I'll just clean everything out, use bleach and everything, and then start over with new filter media and everything and let it re-cycle. I just wish I knew what it was that killed my fish and if there's anything I can do to prevent it from happening again. I don't like the band-aid thing.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #17 
erinandares

Sorry, I always miss new replies. :/

He's purple. Phaistos is a pink dragon-scale. I've seen that other thread, I remember it first starting out months ago. I just haven't seen anything like it at my house, yet. My two blue bettas are in different tanks and they're just fine.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #18 
Sena Hansler

I've had a "wimpy immune system" betta who did not do well to slightest of changes, and he died despite everything it IS very possible and not unheard of

Has anyone used air freshners in this area? you have a younger sibling (toys, and other stuff being in the water, hands being in the water etc)? new paint? carpet cleaning...?

Yeah purples don't seem to carry it xD So says Shiloh the... wow 2 and a half years old.... betta in my 20 gallon xDD My three blues died from it.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #19 
frazier71

I'm sorry :( be careful with bleach that there is absolutely none left no residue when you refill the tank. If you can smell the slightest amount of bleach, its still there
frazier71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:32 AM   #20 
erinandares

I live with my dad, no siblings. The tank is in my bedroom, and air fresheners give me headaches. What with my own health issues, the air stays pretty fresh and... scentless, if that makes sense. I mean... I only use hair products in the bathroom, if ever.

Right. I won't be adding fish anytime soon, anyway. Thanks, guys.

And sorry if I seem crabby. I want my fish not to die, I'm not mad at any one of you guys. :c

Tags
all dying, multiple fish, sudden