Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #21 
Sena Hansler

we all understand I didn't think you came across as crabby (to me anywho). It sucks losing fish - especially a bunch at a time!!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #22 
erinandares

So I decided to keep Phaistos's body with me on my way to the pet store, even though he was dead. And I'm glad I did because his orangey-yellow spot spread, and even turned partially gray. And Erasmos's condition was so bad when we got there, I had the guy euthanize him. Even so, he wasn't much of a help. Basically, he said the same things we said, about restarting the tank so that the thing will die off. He did say he had seen the gray tissue before on a fish, just never as bad as my little buddy had it. :c So I just bought a brand new filter and I'm working on emptying the tank right now.

On a positive note, my dad decided he wanted a betta, so he bought a 5g tank and all the fixings, and we set it up and everything, and his new guy is a shimmery blue and green CT. He's just gotten loose in the tank, and he's exploring and everything. Yes, heated and filtered and with decor and greenery. His tank is a great little betta home. I'm glad my dad thinks bettas are so awesome and is getting into taking care of them himself.
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #23 
Sena Hansler

Well I am sorry to hear about the fact you had to euthanise, but I'm glad even your dad is getting into bettas I know breaking down a cycled tank SUCKS and we'd rather not, but trust me it's best to do it especially for unknown diseases everything needs to be cleaned too... nets, cups, etc.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #24 
erinandares

Right. I left teh cups with the pet shop guy and just bought a new net. Lol. Didn't want to deal with it. I'm giving all the decor a bleach bath before I have to leave for work. Then, I'm going to refill the tank and gravel vacuum really well. Then empty it again and clean with bleach. Then finally look into refilling it and starting the cycle over.

But just so you guys know, my fish definitely had the black necrosis on their bodies. They weren't blue, either. One was pink and one was purple. I'm not including Banana Fish because I don't know for sure if that killed him. But it continued spreading on Phaistos's body after he was dead. I think I'll include this in the other thread, because I think it's important for people to know.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #25 
Sena Hansler

Well, for the necrosis for our blues, it didn't seem to be contagious, however stress did trigger most of the betta's necrosis. And it tends to be underlying (at least for my bettas here) until something triggers it to emerge.

The thing with necrosis, it's dead matter. It kills the live tissue, and all that is left is a living dead fish :/ so it's not surprising it continued to spread - because it's similar to decomposition.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #26 
erinandares

I know what necrosis is. And I'm just saying. I only wanted to let people know because they seem to think only blues can get it. I have to go to work, though. Later.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #27 
Sena Hansler

Actually we don't think only blues get it as I noted, it's more common in blues, but there has been other colors attacked

Tags
all dying, multiple fish, sudden