Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #1 
Bombalurina

Unhappy Possible internal parasites? Help!

Housing
What size is your tank? 16 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, two, total rating for 45 gallons
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 5 Ember tetras, 12 Endlers Livebearers, 3 cories, 2 male Fundulopanchax gardneri and 5 other female bettas. Yes, I know it's overstocked, but it is heavily planted, overfiltered and the water is changed regularly.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Marina betta micropellets, Nutrafin Micro Community Pellets, New Life Spectrum cichlid pellets and however much of the Nutrafin Sinking Catfish Pellets they nibble on.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Twice a week (though recently it's been pretty hectic and I've only managed once a week).
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 1/3.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime, IAL, sometimes fertilisers, Flourish Excel to deal with some algae (spot treatment only).

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: Not sure, my kit is broken
pH: 6.8
Hardness: Gh 1, KH 3
Alkalinity: NA

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Medea has become pale and greyish instead of her normal vibrant blue. I've seen stress-stripes sometimes. Her front section is very bloated (no raised scales) and she has a number of small bumps on her face and neck.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't - she still eats well and swims actively.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? She has had the little bumps for weeks now, but the bloating and colour loss has become more noticeable in the past three days. I have done a water change, but it did not change her appearance.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I'm fasting her today. I normally fast on Sundays too. I'm giving my CRS colony to a friend ASAP and converting their tank into a hospital tank for her. I'm considering an epsom salt treatment.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? No, apart from the little bumps which I did post about when I saw them and got no response to.

How old is your fish (approximately)? Probably about a year, assuming she was 6 months-ish when I got her from the petshop.

Please help me. :( What treatment should I use and what is her affliction?
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Fish normally will have internal parasites all their life and generally they will not be problematic to the fish-their immune response and regular passing of them usually will take care of any issues, however, once the fish become compromised they can become problematic/symptomatic-since I use only natural methods-my method my not help your case much-it can take up to 6 weeks......

The external bumps on her face and head could be external parasites-can you post a pic of them.....

What I do for parasites-symptomatic cases-I use Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and tannins to help purge them along with feeding fresh crushed garlic 2:1 ratio 3 times a day for 6 weeks-then daily thereafter.

Since she is still active and eating well......the enlarged abdomen may be normal and/or due to overeating and color loss and stress stripes communication-any buoyancy issues, clamp fins, appetite changes, hiding, lethargic, white fecal matter more than a few days not related to normal fecal color changes related to eggs.

It could be a start of something due to stress that is compromising the immune response-good that you have her QT'd to further observe....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

I haven't managed to QT her yet, unfortunately. :( I dug one of my old 5 gallons out and will catch her ASAP.

Overnight she has lost all of her colour and has gone completely grey. She tried to eat but didn't manage. She was very slow in getting to the food and seems to be struggling to swim. :( She has gone downhill so fast!

I will get her into the epsom salt ASAP. The ratio you mentioned, is that of garlic to pellets?

Thank you so much for your help! I will try and get a picture of her, but I'm reliant on my sister's camera so it could be a while. :(
Old 04-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

For worming-Garlic 2parts to 1 part food-I use frozen/stemmed shrimp and smash it all together making a paste-along with blanched spinach-its my homemade fish food that all my fish get daily and when I collect wilds years ago-I fed it 3 times a day for the first 6 weeks and any new fish that come into the fish room for 3 weeks during QT...I make a batch and freeze it flattened in a zip lock freezer bag and break off what I need for a feeding-using the side of a dull tipped knife I work it to defrost and target feed with the tip of the knife.

You can't overdose Garlic-the more you can get in her the better...
Old 04-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #5 
Pogthefish

This sounds like what happened when my fish got drposy, so watch out. just saying. except for the bumps
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #6 
Pogthefish

wait nvm u sed shes still eatign ignore wat i sed :P
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #7 
Raspberry Betta

Please read my post!!
Raspberry Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:34 AM   #8 
Bombalurina

She's not eating and swimming very poorly. I don't think she is going to make it. :( This is the disease that has claimed all of my previous bettas, barring one, to date. The symptoms occur in different orders, but they always include the loss of colour, lack of appetite, eventually lethargy, followed by a quick decline and then death. Some have pineconed in the past, some have not. I really didn't want this for my sorority girls, least of all Medea. She isn't my most beautiful girl but she has such a big personality. :(
Old 04-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #9 
Oldfishlady

It could possible be aging out too.....and nothing you did or can do......this is a short lived species to start and genetic play a big role...1-2 years average and rarely over 3-4 years- especially for pet shop bought Betta that had been neglected at the pet shop-receiving poor care and nutrition......

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 04-14-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

She died last night. :( Thankyou for all your help, OFL. At the very least, I hope her last hours were comfortable - lots of silk plants and lovely tannin-filled epsom salty water.