Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #1 
KellyL

Betta acting strange?

I'm new to keeping bettas so this may be normal but last night during water change I noticed that he had some sugar grain sized white dots on his head body and some in his fins - this is the first time I had noticed them and they were not hard to miss!! I immediately thought about white spot disease and planned to get treatment today but this morning the dots on his head and body had gone and there were only one or two left in his fins. - he's even better now. (I added chlorine treatment, biological filter aid and general tonic to the water as directed.)

Thing is, now he is purposely wedging himself between the heater and side of the tank or against the filter input (filter is trying to suck his fins in!) to the point I think he is dead or stuck!
I know they sleep close to the surface so they can breath air but is it knows for a betta to wedge himself in place? The filter isnt powerful at all so its not as if he's getting blown around the tank!

What on earth is going on?

Thanks for your help!
KellyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #2 
Tikibirds

Quote:
noticed that he had some sugar grain sized white dots on his head body and some in his fins - this is the first time I had noticed them and they were not hard to miss!!
Could it of been air bubbles? Sometimes after a water change I notice transparent white dots on my bettas but its just air bubbles. They go away after a few hours

The other thing that comes to mind is ick. Does he look like he is sprinkled with salt? Ick probably won't go away overnight though. I needs treatment.
Does it look like this:
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #3 
KellyL

I noticed them before the water change and I had a really good look it didn't look like bubbles. It wasn't as bad as the picture although the dots were a bit larger, he had about 3 on his head, 2 lower down on his body and 5 total in his fins.
Would treatment for white spot harm him if he doesn't have it? or should I treat for Ick? Thanks again!
Old 04-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #4 
laoshun

well if you do treat him like he has ick and he doesn't it shouldn't be much harm to your betta at all (if you use aquarium salt, not so sure on ick specific medication though).
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #5 
wystearya

Were the dots fuzzy looking at all? It could also be a fungus.
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #6 
KellyL

no they weren't fuzzy at all, I had a really good look and they were just white, round, sugar grain size dots! What is the difference between ICK and white spot? google images is throwing the same images up for both!

I read that white spot organisms develop on the fish then after a week drop off, then lay dormant for a few days before releasing more of the organisms into the water - these spots developed in the 24hours before I noticed them.
Since they have dropped off should I be panicking? Or did my water change + 3 types of product kill them? if not will the salt treatment kill all traces?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions!! This is not only my first betta but my first tropical fish! :)