Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #1 
Sheldon31

Question Help please! Water changes.

I have a new 6.5gal tank. It's only Kyon in it at the moment. Only one plant at the moment too, of course, as this was an emergency move I didn't cycle the tank before hand (used filter media, gravel, plant and a pot from old tank and used water conditioner and some filter start). How many water changes, how often and how much water? Do I need to water change more with IAL or less to get the full benefits?

A little side note, Kyon has stress stripes at the moment from the move. Will these settle in time or is there anything I can do to help him relax? His tanks a bit bare at the moment but it was such a quick decision and move, I didn't have time, or funds, to decorate more.
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

Here is a thought: you could get a breeder box and stick him in the 15 gal with your tetra while you cycle the 6.5 gal instead of putting your boy through the stress of a fish-in cycle. Otherwise if you don't want to cycle the 6.5 gal then you are looking at 2 PWC a week. To help you cycle you can grab a few handfuls of water from the 15 gal (which should be cycled). This is called seeding and will help the cycle in your 6.5 gal establish faster.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:09 AM   #3 
Sheldon31

Sorry what does Pwc mean? Not very good with abreviations. I don't have breeder boxes or the funds to get them, I literally had to get him out of there ASAP because his tail was being nipped daily. I've seeded the tank with water, decor, filter media, gravel and a plant. The 15 gal is established. Looking at him this morning he seems calmer, he's eaten and isn't pacing and his stripes have disappeared.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden

Oh my bad. PWC is a partial water change. If you are cycling his tank, you need an ammonia/nitrite/nitrate test kit. The drip kits are the best; the strips are a waste of money.

A breeder box is really cheap and something great to have for emergencies like this. I have one and have used it to house healthy bettas in my 29 gal community for weeks at a time. It's only about $10 which is much cheaper than another setup. It separates a betta from the other fish while still allowing him clean and warm water. I have this one: Top Fin Breeders - PetSmart in the 3-way style but I just remove all the things inside. Tt gives a betta a nice big swimming room and has a top to prevent jumping.

His stress stripes were probably just new-home jitters. The bareness of the tank probably didn't help either. Are there any live plants in the 15 gal that you can get clippings from? Adding these to his new home would certainly help.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

actually water won't hold a cycle. You need the filter media, or ornaments/fake plants to carry the seed for the cycle.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #6 
Sheldon31

My new tank was 2 lol bargain that I stumbled across. I've put an IAL in there and he is calmer today. Stress stripes are gone and hes stopped pacing. I've got some live plants in there that I can take out. I'm gonna order some more tonight, I have a test kit already from cycling the 15g tank. How much water should I change? I do 25% weekly, did 10% daily during the cycling process on the 15g but I'm guessing this one will need more or does it depend on how many fish are in there. I would rather cycle, rather than be taking him in and out all the time. Baught a cup to put him in instead of netting him from now on. He really didn't like the net! Tomorrow is water change day for the Tetras anyway so I'll be taking some of the clippings then. As we speak he's "playing peek a boo" out of the pot at at me which is unbelievably cute!
Old 04-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

6.5 right? A weekly 25% water change works, and the tank cycles itself with a fish in there.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #8 
Sheldon31

Thanks Sena. Wish he could have stayed in the bigger tank, he liked it in there but his poor tail :( Checked his tail this morning and it's not as bad as I originally thought. Really freaked out when I seen it on Saturday morning.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

tetras tend to be nippy....as are barbs and rasboras. Some people have success, some don't :(
Old 04-04-2012, 03:23 AM   #10 
Sheldon31

I've learnt my lesson the hard way :( today he's much happier. He coming up to the glass when I put my face up close and he's rubbing himself against the ial I've had to turn my heater up because we've had some snow so it's very cold, he was hanging around the heater when I got up this morning. I've ordered 4 bunches of assorted plants so both him and the tetras will be getting some presents for easter. I'm think of putting some more tetras or rasp boras in the 15g now was thinking guppies but I'm guessing they might nip at them too. I would like some danios. How many shrimp can I put in the 6.5 with Kyon?