Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2012, 02:43 AM   #11 
kfryman

Just saying you need to up your water changes! You should be doing a 50% and a 100%, at least do two 50%s.

He has a very mild case, just keep doing the aquarium salt treatment. Have you continued to feed him? A betta in colder water will digest things slower, so don't feed as much until you get a heater. Feed at most 4, once you get his tank heated you can up it to 6 total.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #12 
Mart2289

Well, After a few days of treating my fish..I knew he would not make it... He was at the bottom of the tank and he had a very advanced case of ick and his fins were deteriorating and in the end he had velvet I think...I decided to put him to sleep with clove oil.
after that, he went into a ziploc bag into the freezer....I will bury him!
Mart2289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #13 
Mart2289

Well, After a few days of treating my fish..I knew he would not make it... He was at the bottom of the tank and he had a very advanced case of ick and his fins were deteriorating and in the end he had velvet I think...I decided to put him to sleep with clove oil.
after that, he went into a ziploc bag into the freezer and I will give him a proper burial.
Mart2289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #14 
youlovegnats

Wait...so hold up.
If he had ick, it wouldn't have killed him in a couple days. Ick is a parasite that only allows for the fish to become sick, it can't actually kill you. Think of it like AIDS...except extremely simple to cure. Ick also doesn't deteriorate fins.
I just didn't want anymore misinformation flying around the forum. It feels like we have plenty of that already.

You stated before that you had only just acquired him...
It's very likely that he was sick from the petstore. Stores are notorious for taking poor care of their animals.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:29 PM   #15 
Luimeril

after looking at the picture, i can honestly say i saw nothing wrong with that Crowntail. he looked to be a beautiful marble. ick is a very easily treated illness, and some people don't even need medication to treat it. i, myself, kicked it in the behind in less than a week with ick medication twice, on two different fish.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:37 PM   #16 
MrVampire181

Ick = simple to treat.

Fin issues in CTs = normal for hard water.

All that needed to be done was some warm water, aquarium salt, and maybe some medication from a pet store.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:58 PM   #17 
cajunamy
Banned

I just don't understand ... you killed the fish b/c of ich? Ich is so easy to treat and prevent - aq. salt and raising the temp will do it. He was bottom sitting b/c he was cold. Also easily fixed. He was such a beautiful fish too. His belly did look a little bloated, but you don't feed peas to carnivores - their bodies are not meant to handle it. Daphnia is the better choice. And CTs are notorious for having fin issues.

Please, next time read up on diseases, or the fish you're getting, before deciding to kill it. I also don't really understand why you didn't have a heater for him?

eta; also, i disagree that there needs to be so many water changes. if the tank is cycled and filtered, a 50% weekly is sufficient. i have kept bettas in cycled 2 gallons before with that schedule and it was fine. however if it's not filtered or cycled, then perhaps every 3 day water changes of at least 50%, pref. 100%

Last edited by cajunamy; 04-17-2012 at 11:02 PM.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:21 AM   #18 
Tikibirds

The only thing I saw in the picture was his belly was a little too big...I dont know about Ick but if he was contipated that could also of easily of been cured. And the pea method is for goldfish, not bettas. Most bettas won't touch the pea anyways.

Quote:
. He was at the bottom of the tank and he had a very advanced case of ick and his fins were deteriorating and in the end he had velvet I think
Er, are you sure it was ick? I dont think ick destroys fins..maybe columnaris?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:08 AM   #19 
laoshun

well generally if the ick case is bad enough, fin rot follows in that case and if not treated correctly, deadly combo.
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #20 
youlovegnats

Guys, as stated before, Ick can be cured in a matter of DAYS. Fin rot is also extremely easy to cure and that combination wouldn't have killed the fish.
As cajunamy said, he was bottom sitting because he was lethargic from not having a heater.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote