Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #1 
BrainEater

Question how to take out betta from aquarium carefully

im a first timer on bettas and i need to know ways how to take them out the aquarium for cleaning.

i got my first betta last two weeks. one time, when i tried to take him out with a plastic cup, he somewhat panicked and it got a small portion of its tail. now i got my second betta and i want to take care of its tails and fins. so how do you prevent the betta from panicking or losing a portion of the tail? do you use a specialty net for taking them out?
BrainEater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Usually a very soft net works, but no matter what they will panic. I got some of my bettas used to cups, or even bowls (like ones you use for cereal). Nets cause more stress than cups, well for mine anyways, so i use a wide cup or bowl The suction takes them into the cup/bowl. Some are stronger swimmers and may need a net to "herd" them into the cup/bowl.

Your last betta may have just been tail biting. It is pretty common for long tailed bettas to tail bite under stress.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #3 
BrainEater

thanks for the info.

Last edited by BrainEater; 04-11-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #4 
kfryman

Yeah, that is not good to say it on this forum and can get you banned. People do not find it funny to fight bettas, many people in Thailand do it, but that is part of their culture and they only do quick spares. Fighting something is serious, not a joke. Is dog fighting funny to you too?

I will not be surprised to see you banned :(
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

We do not recommend fighting bettas on here, and it is not tolerated by the most of us. Although there are breeders who do it, mainly to aid in strong betta lines (such as Fighter Bettas), pet owners should NOT be fighting their fish, especially if they do not know anything about the reasonings, problems, conditioning methods etc of fighting bettas.

Do you know how to treat for infection now? Do you know whose won, and which might have organ damage from being attacked? Do you know what to look for in signs of illness such as parasites, fungus, bacterial infection?

I won't be surprised either. This is not a betta fighting forum and it is HIGHLY recommended NOT to fight bettas. They are more than JUST FISH, they are living creatures who do not deserve to be forcibly fought. same as dogs.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #6 
BrainEater

oh im so sorry. edited my post.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #7 
kfryman

And now he edited so no one will ever know... Really editing a post won't do much. You fought your Betta is the problem.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

Okay, but we warned you Trust me, I've had a betta who was stuck in with cichlids/gouramis. The condition I got him in, pictures show PART. Not only did ich attack him, he had two HUGE gashes on his one faceplate, and he cannot flare properly. He came to me with what was left of fins, missing scales, and a plain bloody mess. Now he lives in a 20 gallon as a 2.5 year old healthy betta. I would be very sad to see anyone have to struggle with a fought betta to keep it alive, especially unknowing of diseases, dangers, and organ damage that is a potential to fighting.
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #9 
kfryman

How many gallons is his tank? Is it heated if so to what temperature?

Sena is right, bettas will sometimes go for body blows in fights, Thai's and other breeders will teach different fighting styles. An unfaithful Betta won't know what to do and once hw sees a male will just attack. With an untrained eye you won't know what is going on. I have heard of fights that have lead to death because of organ damage because a fight went on too long and one grew tired.

After fights your Betta is gonna be open to diseases and infections since he has open wounds.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

Yeah I was about to ask... what size of tank is it? Don't want your betta to get fin rot, or other pesky diseases/problems. And how often do you do a water change, and how much at a time?