Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #1 
slowmotion4139

Betta wont move from bottom of tank

Ive had my betta fish for about 2 months, i used to keep in him in a half gallon tank but i moved him to a 10 gallon tank 3 days ago. At first he swam around but by the second day he spends most of his time on the gravel. He will occasionally come up for air but today he began to breathe heavily with his gills and is laying on his side? He wont come up for air as often and he won't eat. Anyone know what i can do to help him.
slowmotion4139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:08 PM   #2 
BeckyFish97

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmotion4139 View Post
Ive had my betta fish for about 2 months, i used to keep in him in a half gallon tank but i moved him to a 10 gallon tank 3 days ago. At first he swam around but by the second day he spends most of his time on the gravel. He will occasionally come up for air but today he began to breathe heavily with his gills and is laying on his side? He wont come up for air as often and he won't eat. Anyone know what i can do to help him.
Is he a little...how to put this nicely...fatter than usual?If yes then maybe swimbladder.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Go to this link copy and paste the questions and then answer them and post in this thread, also this thread would probably be better in the betta emergencies section.
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:28 AM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

Is the tank heated??? They can go lethargic if the temperature is below 72F.
Oh, and Becky Fish, dont they stay on the top and be unsteady if it has swimbladder disease???
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmotion4139 View Post
I'm just going to ask a couple of questions that will help us diagnose him. :)

1) How did you move him? Did you just plop him in or did you let him float in a bag or cup to adjust to the new water temperature and chemistry?

2) Did you use water conditioner?

3) Do you have a heater, and what temperature is your water?

For now, I would suggest lowering the water level to halfway so that he can reach the surface for air more easily. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #5 
Kinz2488

If the tank isn't heated, my first guess would be temperature. My betta is most happy at 78-80.
Kinz2488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #6 
Tikibirds

Do you have a new filter running? If so, you may want to read up on the nitrogen cycle if you don't know about it. There may of been an ammonia spike but I dont think that would happen in 3 days.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wont move