Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2012, 11:16 PM   #11 
BETTACHKALOVE

Good look with red one and i hope your pink one didn't get infected.
You asking if you should continue with Sulfa medications. Did you finish all course of it. If you finish i would not continue if not you need to finish it. I would not use medications and bettafix together. You are overmedicating her.

Also if you still treating with medications i would finish it without bettafix and when you do water changes as directed on medications and if you fish still sick i would recommend aquarium salt.

Aquarium salt has antibacterial/fungal affect. And it less stressful for betta than medications.Do you know instructions?

Good luck.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #12 
meandmyangels

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETTACHKALOVE View Post
Good look with red one and i hope your pink one didn't get infected.
You asking if you should continue with Sulfa medications. Did you finish all course of it. If you finish i would not continue if not you need to finish it. I would not use medications and bettafix together. You are overmedicating her.

Also if you still treating with medications i would finish it without bettafix and when you do water changes as directed on medications and if you fish still sick i would recommend aquarium salt.

Aquarium salt has antibacterial/fungal affect. And it less stressful for betta than medications.Do you know instructions?

Good luck.
Hi: Thanks for your reply, I think the recipe for using aquarium salt is 1 tbs. per 10 gals. So I will be doing a water change in her tank today and will add 1 tsp of salt. Regards
meandmyangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #13 
xjenuhfur

It's 1 tsp per gallon and don't exceed salt treatments for more than 10 days.
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:07 PM   #14 
BETTACHKALOVE

1 tsp per gall with daily 100% water changes for 10 days :) And you better to pre mix salt in 1 gall jug for the right dosage and make sure it dissolve.
But if you have her in 10 gall i don't know how you can do 100% water changes. Put her in the hospital tank if you have. Or in something clean see through smaller bowl so you can do 100% water changes. Or at least if you don't have hospital tank you can reduce water...Also if you have live plants i don't remember if live plants tolerant to salt treatment.
If you have live plant you can take them out and quarantine them. Put them in the water without conditioner and let then sit for 2-3 weeks. They might die though...not sure which one more hardy and survive...
Also i would disinfect the tank if you ever want to put there another fish.
Let us know we will give you instruction on disinfection.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:36 PM   #15 
meandmyangels

My sick betta

Hi: Thanks for your reply, I'm going to print out your instructions and follow this course of treatment. Regards
Old 04-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #16 
BETTACHKALOVE

i If you going to treat her in 10 gall than you don't need to disinfect the tank for her . If you will take her out then you will need to disinfect before you put her back if she will recover.

And of course if you will use 10 gall for another fish always always disinfect it since you had sick fish in there. Sorry if i am repeating myself. When you disinfect the tank remember just hot water not going to get rid of the fungus or bacteria. Give us update and we will help you with disinfection :)
Good luck.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #17 
meandmyangels

Hi Bettachkalove: I have emptied her 5 gal and am cycling a fresh clean new 10gal that she is moving into once she gets well. Right now I'm doing the salt treatment in a 1 1/2 gal jar, with 100% water changes every day. She looks like she may recover. Thanks, Meandmyangels
Old 04-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #18 
gbose

worst4N,

Just to reinforce what you've already heard:
1) 2.5G is just big enough for one betta -- take out your divider.
2) Your tank should be cycled before adding fish; this is probably too late, as you already have one. So use Amquel or something similar to keep your ammonia levels down.
3) Change 50% of your water at least every second day; every day is better until your tank cycles. This will take a few weeks. You do NOT need to remove the fish while changing the water.
4) Keep your filter running. Clean the filter only in used tank water (NOT under the tap) every week.
5) Keep that heater, about 78F

Good luck

GBose
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #19 
meandmyangels

sick betta

Hi: Thanks for your info. My pink healthy betta is presently in a 2 gal. and my red sick one is in a 1.5 gal. I am cycling a 10 gal. for them both when my red one is well enough to go into it. I will be putting the red one in first for awhile then adding the pink one later. I will also add a few items for playing and hiding in. At this time my red one looks like she will recover. I am changing 100% of the water each day and adding 1 1/2 tsp of aquarium salt each day. Looks good so far. Regards
Old 04-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #20 
BETTACHKALOVE

Don't use aq salt more than 10 days. If it helps you can increase it to 2 tsp/gall. The maximum is 3tsp/gall. Good luck :)