Betta Fish Forum banner

Thunderstorms always do the trick. :D

1K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  tpocicat 
#1 ·
I'm currently watching Levi and Rain spawn, pictured below:

Levi:

Rain:

I put them in together on Sunday night, kept her separated through Monday, released her Tuesday morning, and they've been spawning for about 20 minutes. He's quite a gentleman, I haven't seen him nip at her once. She seemed uninterested at first and shredded the nest a number of times, I figured all hope was lost until it started thundering outside. That's when she practically ran into his "arms" and he gladly flipped her over. Here's hoping for lots of betta fry! :)

See less See more
#2 ·
I knew all of us breeding bettas in the state were jumping on the opportunity lol! I just put my blues together xD

#6 ·
I remember reading in one of Dr.Axelrods(spelling?) books years ago,that a good way to induce spawning in some egg layers was to imatate a thunder storm.
The way he described it was:
use a spraybar to imatate rain
use a strobe light to imatate lighting
shake a piece of sheetmetal to imatate thunder.
I kid you not,back then it was a diy thunder storm and him and some other breeders swore by it.
I never tried it,thought about it tho.

#7 ·
Some breeders pour in cool water to simulate rain as well :)

#9 ·
Merp, well, no luck. As the storm passed she became less and less interested in him. She eventually just swam away mid-spawn with no eggs fertilized. :/ Hopefully my other spawn will render fry, and hopefully there's some luck to his name- Storm, and I'm trying Sabra with him. This will produce some white & dark turquoise halfmoon plakats, a good amount being Marbles and all with the superblack genotype. It's still raining outside, so hopefully irony will play its part. ^-^

#11 ·
I heard something about spawning at full moon so I tried that in a spawn last year, I got 25 eggs from it but for some unknown reason my fry never learned how to swim and 5 days in they all died, not sure if this was velvet or ick?I was sooo dissapointed but maybe it just wasn't meant to happen. Oh well, this time I'm breeding a known breeding pair (both pure white) and hopefully it will work this time :)
KadenJames what's a DIY thunderstorm?

#13 ·
With Maine and Madame I put some cool water in, simulating rain, because I read about it somewhere :lol: it works nice, actually!

#14 ·
Interesting..... I must look into this.

In my area it's harder to breed during stormy season - unless done indoors. The wind and rain drops destroys everything, the temp fluctuates .... they get put off/discouraged/give up (?).... after a couple of days. During the hot season they could remain active, flirting for days.

#15 ·
I do it indoors :3 fake, of course hehe. I also tend to do a water change, lowering the water, adding cooler water, etc... works for me. I dunno about anyone else :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.