Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #1 
Sivan

Best place to get accessories?

So I am going to be getting a new finny-friend soon (probably a month-ish) and will be setting up a 5 gallon tank for the first time. I am not sure what theme I would like but I am excited because this will be the first time that I can actually decorate with more than a few shiny stones and a hiding place for my fish.

PetSmart never seems to have nice decorations and Wal-mart's are worse. I haven't been to local stores because the only one I have been to is sleazy...and they have live crickets in an open bucket on the floor, with only a short waist-high wall to separate them from me and I have a severe phobia against those horrible things.

I like to buy things in person but am open to ordering things online too.

Now, as of a theme...I don't really have any ideas. There are things I do not like, though. I do not want an Asian themed tank, for that I feel they are too overdone. I do not want a medieval themed one either for the same reason, so no castles, knights, dragons, etc. I do like looking at dragon decorations but I do not want a dragon/dinosaur themed tank.

I like a kind of natural look or things like greek ruins. I will not have live plants or sand. I also have these clear plastic colored starfish/seashells that I love to use and some of those decorative clear glass stones. I am not sure if I want to use the stones or gravel for the tank.

I would like to get silk plants too but have a hard time finding good ones or any at all up here.

Any ideas? Pictures? Recommendations?
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #2 
mattoboy

Decorating is so much fun! My setup is gravel which is natural colours (Pearl, chocolate brown, dark brown, etc.) with some live plants and 2 fake plats to just cover things up a tad :)
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #3 
jesstanner

Personally, I like shopping at petco or my lfs for decorations. Your lfs sounds horrible though...Do you perhaps have another lfs nearby that you could try?
As for a theme, the greek idea sounds wonderful! I'm partial towards river/natural themed tanks with sand or mixed brown gravel substrate, lots of rocks, terracotta pots, and lush green silk plants. I know you said no to live plants, but marimo moss balls are SO easy to care for (You just stick them in basically) and are very fun to watch. Any ways, if you want to use fake starfish/seashells, you could always do a beachy look with one side white gravel (representing sand) and another side blue gravel (representing water), a coconut hut, and some silk plants that look kinda like seaweed?
Hah, I don't know...but anyways have fun with it! Decorating is one of the most creative aspects of the process, and you're the one who's going to have to live with the theme, so just pick whatever you want!
:)
jesstanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:36 PM   #4 
Sivan

Wow! Those are great ideas for a beach tank! I always find it kind of strange, though, when people make island or beach themes considering it IS an underwater world for your fish. It always makes me think the island sunk or something. Haha.

I really like natural looks too but nothing to over crowded with plants or decorations. I like to be able to see my buddy easily. Once I had an idea to make a "rainbow forest" using multi-colors silk plants on one side of the tank....but then couldn't think of what else to do. A rainbow themes tank sounds like it would be pretty, if done right.

EDIT: Also, I live in the largest town in the area... of upstate NY. There really isn't much here despite it being better than other places. The only other pet stores I know of cater more toward non-aquatic animals, which is why I thought of online sites. I do have a bad idea at picturing just how big things are though and prefer to feel decorations for rough edges.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:43 PM   #5 
Shirleythebetta

ooo ooo oooo! try aquariumguys.com. They are wonderful. It takes about a week or two to get your stuff but it was way way cheaper than the petstores. For a flat fedex rate of 7.99 you can get anything on the site and they have EVERYTHING decor, substrates, plants (no live sadly) fish tanks, hoods, heaters, filters..... everything. I about a couple months ago payed about 50 or 60 dollars for six or so fabric plants. Including shipping I got seven from aquariumguys.com for 21 bucks and some change! they have nice ornaments too. Some I have seen at petsmart for almost half the price.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #6 
Shirleythebetta

also they give you demensions of everything and nice pictures.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:53 PM   #7 
Sivan

Thanks! Not a bad site but most of the things I liked were too big. Haha.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #8 
Shirleythebetta

Aww I'm sorry :( You know it for the future though!
Old 04-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #9 
Sivan

Its okay, not your fault! I am thinking I may want to do a rive-like look because I want things like the floating betta log and I love the look of driftwood. Yet I still like the idea of a sunken Roman city. Hmmm.... I need to see more decorations to get better ideas.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:45 AM   #10 
registereduser

PetCo has some pretty columns and broken urn decorations suitable for a 5 gallon.

http://www.petco.com/N_24_105_30-P_3/Fish-Decor.aspx

1.69! plus shipping
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote