Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2012, 02:16 AM   #1 
Sandrilene

So now what?

Hideki has been healing his tail and separated from his ghost shrimp (i'm now 95% sure that they attacked his tail as he is alone and its improving) so at this point he killed his snails and the ghost shrimp are destroying his fins when they are together. he is in a 5 gallon tank which at this point in time i'm not willing to increase (nor do i think a fish experiment would go well at all) so am i out of things to try tank wise to add to the 5 gallon at this point? If the ghost shrimp have been destroying his fins is there any reason to suspect that will stop? If i knew they could possibly do that i never would have tried them. I really hope his fins recover.
Sandrilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #2 
Beall

Honestly, I have no clue what your asking for help with? from what I read, you asked a question then partially answered it for yourself.
The only think I can say is maybe try the Compatability forum for a faster response as far as tank mates go.
As for the fins, over time they should heal. If im not mistaken, there is some sort of antibiotic / medicine to help with the repair of fins and the protective slime a fish has?
Sorry If I was too blunt, or this doesnt help. Really just confused on what your wanting to know. :/
Beall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #3 
TakoLuLu

I'm at a loss as to how a ghost shrimp could be responsible for major fin damage. They don't have claws or the sort of mouth that could be munching on fins (mouths in the middle of their stomachs that they sort of shovel things into with their feet). I may be wrong here, but I'm sort of doubting they are your issue.
TakoLuLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:48 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

Tako - they do have claws and can cause rips in fins. Not usually to a serious extent, though.

Sandrilene - I would suggest cherry shrimp. They are clawless. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:26 PM   #5 
TakoLuLu

Looking at them more closely I suppose their little arms do have tiny little hookish claws on them. I was reading earlier this week about how several types of shrimp that grow larger in adulthood (and much more aggressive, with large claws!) look almost exactly like ghost shrimp as juveniles. As such they're rather often mislabeled and sold as ghost shrimp. The article mentioned that a good way to be sure they were really ghost shrimp was to be sure they had short arms without noticeable claws as the other types would have long front arms with pronounced claw even as juveniles. I guess that just stuck in my head as them not actually having claws, lol!
TakoLuLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:02 AM   #6 
laoshun

usually shrimp swim around near bettas at the surface searching for food.
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:03 AM   #7 
Sandrilene

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakoLuLu View Post
Looking at them more closely I suppose their little arms do have tiny little hookish claws on them. I was reading earlier this week about how several types of shrimp that grow larger in adulthood (and much more aggressive, with large claws!) look almost exactly like ghost shrimp as juveniles. As such they're rather often mislabeled and sold as ghost shrimp. The article mentioned that a good way to be sure they were really ghost shrimp was to be sure they had short arms without noticeable claws as the other types would have long front arms with pronounced claw even as juveniles. I guess that just stuck in my head as them not actually having claws, lol!

I had no idea that this was even possible. Now I am angry because one of the shrimp is quite a bit larger then the other shrimp and has claws and longer arms. I bet he is not a ghost shrimp, if they really can look so similar otherwise. Since I didn't know there were even other clear species of shrimp... if I had I would had said i didn't want that one! I was under the impression they weren't aggressive. I'm probably going to talk to the manager at the pet store and see if they will do something about this. I feel that they should at least apologize since my fishes tail is half gone. MAYBE they will at least give me a discount on stuff to make it regrow better. Poor hideki.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:23 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

some of these shrimp are clear...and $$$ Maybe you got one of them instead?
http://www.theshrimpfarm.com/store/
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:35 AM   #9 
Aus

Quote:
Originally Posted by laoshun View Post
usually shrimp swim around near bettas at the surface searching for food.
My red cherry shrimp stay the heck away from my betta (or they're lunch) and forage mostly at the bottom, in the various hidey-places I provide for them.

There's a few aggressive shrimp species (the long-armed shrimp is famous for eating small fish) but most really aren't - I'd suspect your fish of tail-biting himself before I'd blame the shrimp unless that one larger shrimp proves to be a highly carnivorous species.

Maybe take it back to the store and ask for it to be identified? If it's not a ghost shrimp but something nastier, then I'd maybe ask to be compensated. If it's a ghost shrimp - I really doubt it was to blame for those fins.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:20 AM   #10 
Sandrilene

I was with you guys when I saw the red I had assumed he had done it himself but since I have separated them his tail has been recovering if anything, not getting worse. I can't see him having stopped all of the sudden when he is in a smaller bowl (temporarily to treat the tail and figure out what the heck was going on with him). I really do believe he isn`t a ghost shrimp but will be looking more closely at him. He swims around quite a lot whereas the other one chills at the bottom and he swims up to the fish since i thought he was a ghost shrimp i had assumed he was just checking him out but after hearing he might not be one it was like a light bulb went off in my head. I could still be wrong about it but it does make sense of everything. Might post picture of him if i can get a decent one.