Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #1 
Laki

Java fern- spotted leaves

So my mama fern is getting brown spots on her leaves. I read that it might be maturing and dying (the leaves that are spotting) but I wanted to engage with anybody who might be able to confirm this. The remaining baby ferns floating around are fine, not really growing and some have brown spots too

does anybody know what I can do?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #2 
Foisair

I'm not sure what to do to help them but I will say not to give up on them if they start turning brown. I have some lacy java fern that turned mostly brown shortly after I got it. I upgraded my light for the other plants and would add liquid ferts. Tons of new leaves sprouted from the ribozomes and even the large, brown leaves made some new babies. So just because they're turning brown, doesn't mean they're dying. Hopefully someone more experienced with plants will stop by and give you some advice to make them lush and look better again.
Foisair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #3 
thekoimaiden

Brown spot on java fern typically happen when the plant is in very soft water and can't get sufficient nutrients. Black spots often mean a lack of nitrogen (ammonia or nitrate). Mine get them sometimes as I have water that is borderline too soft for plants and there is not many nutrients floating around. Do you know how soft (the dGH) your tap water is? Without knowing your lighting situation I can't recommend fertilizers.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I've had my java fern since last august and I've never lost a single leaf o.o
Did the water conditions change for any reason?
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #5 
Silverfang

I thought it might be nitrogen deficiency. Laki is in the same city as me, and our tap water is pretty crappy. It's got a 6.0 Ph outta the tap, and very soft water. 7 drops when I tested my Gh. And one drop for the Kh.

I've got a flourescent strip with a 10k+ rated light. I get brown spots too. My snails eventually just clean up. They still grow like wildfire, I've got literally dozens of sproutlings. Oh, but I have a thick layer of floating plants.

(Sorry to have hijacked the thread, I'm curious myself!)
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

6?! You guys are lucky. I'd be loading up on the soft water fish, and wild betta with that.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:48 PM   #7 
Silverfang

In my 10G it's down to about 5.5 >.>
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #8 
Laki

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I never thought of actually testing my tap water but sometimes the smell of chlorine in the cold tap turns my stomach its so strong. :/

I think I live in the second oldest section of town than downtown so this house is probably run on pretty old nasty pipes.

It's really only the tops of the leaves so maybe I'm burning them? I use a regular 60w desk lamp on my desk (Bowser) and Ludey gets a florescent light and natural light up in the kitchen window - which, to note, is where the fernies are doing the best.

I got a couple of babies sprouting on my mama fern still, so I know it's not totally dead but I like the look of the thick leathery green lush plants!!

I don't know a thing about fertilizers but I keep meaning to get some plant growing lights next time I get money. But I don't know a thing about those either.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #9 
thekoimaiden

Java fern leaves will actually turn almost translucent when they are getting too much light, so I don't think too much light is the problem. Being in an old house with old pipes could be contributing to some problems, too. My house and pumbing are pretty modern, so I don't know what to tell you about that.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #10 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

My older leaves are brown around the edge and top, but none have ever fallen off, and the thing is still growing like crazy (for a java fern).