Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #11 
Mo

Does it by any chance seem to have a similar apperance to the below picture, If so then your java fern could be easily reproducing. The spots are called spore bodies and are very similar to seeds

Java Ferns have the ability to reproduce in two ways. One of which being the most common happens by asexual reproduction. Small plantlets ideantical to the parent plant will form of of the leaves. This form of reprodution by this plant ic usually considered Budding.

Spore bodies are the result of Sexual reproduction. This happens not as common as Budding. but still happens often if there are multiple Java Ferns in the same aquarium, They will exchange material and create a combitnation contaning of both Ferns resulting in spore bodies

Last edited by Mo; 04-13-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #12 
Laki

Spores are cool!! No, here's a pic of it now, the baby ferns usually just come off the plant.
Attached Images

Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #13 
Mo

Hmm. The problem seems to be a nutrient defficency. If you could please fill out the below questions, we can better help you identify the problem and find a solution

Tank Size?

Specific lighting?

Light bulb age?

Fertilization?

Co2 additives?

Circulation in tank ( filter GPH )

Substrate?

Water parameters (PH, ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite)
Old 04-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #14 
Laki

Tank Size?
2.5g kritter keeper

Specific lighting?
60w type A bulb. Regular old desk lamp

Light bulb age?
month or so I guess.

Fertilization?
whatever fishie poops out

Co2 additives?
none

Circulation in tank ( filter GPH )
whatever fish brush by. No filters.

Substrate?
regular aq gravel.

Water parameters (PH, ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite)
No idea.

After filling out this chart I feel like a bad plant mom!!
Old 04-13-2012, 06:18 PM   #15 
Mo

I think I have the cause, and solution.

From the provided picture in the first post of the second page of this thread. The plant looks as if the rhizome is buried under the substrate, given the fact that java fern is a non substrate rooted plant, which means that it has roots yet it doesn't do well in the substrate and will rot if placed in there which is why it is usually seen tied to rocks, driftwood or left to float. When tying it to ricks you can easily use a small cotton thread to tie, and after time the cotton will disintegrate and the java fern will attach to the material it's tied to.

A bit more information on java fern

Java Fern

Bio
Java fern is a relatively easy to care for plant with minimal requirements regarding setup, and nutrient requirement. Java fern will grow very well, and vigorously in a wide range of setups, such as with little light, no added fertilization, little circulation, and no added Co2. but appreciates Just a small amount of added liquid ferilization and will grow much more vigorously and will show an elevated amount of vivid green colors with it. this plants propagates through small plant lets forming off the plant. When small rows of brown spots are seen on the plant, don't be alarmed. This is a sign of it reproducing.

Java fern is a very beautiful, non substrate rooted plant, which means that it has roots yet it doesn't do well in the substrate and will rot if placed in there which is why it is usually seen tied to rocks, driftwood or left to float. When tying it to ricks you can easily use a small cotton thread to tie, and after time the cotton will disintegrate and the java fern will attach to the material it's tied to. It's appearance looks very pretty, and gives a graceful appearance with the long slender dark green leaves, or sometimes a bit wider leaves, along with small branches sometimes seen forming on some parts of the leaves such as the one in the provided picture above. The appearance of this plant might look pretty to you and possibly the fish but herbivorous and omnivorous fish avoid this plant due to its bitter, hard taste which is the primary reason it's recommended for cichlid tanks, out of all the other plants
Old 04-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #16 
Laki

No, it looks like its buried but I just took that pic so nothing changed I just dropped it in the water and built up a small gradient in the gravel so it wouldn't randomly float to the other side of the tank like it once did! lol
The rhizome or whatever its called is not as large as I've seen in other pics but what would you suggest I add to the water to fertilize it?
Old 04-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #17 
Mo

I would recommend adding a high quality fertilizer such s seachem flourish
Old 04-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #18 
Laki

Thanks, I'll look for that next time I'm out to PetSmart!

edit- I see there's tablets and liquid. Which is better?
Old 04-13-2012, 10:09 PM   #19 
CytoEric

Java ferns get their nutrients out of the water column using their leaves, the roots are used to hold them down. I'd buy the Flourish liquid.
CytoEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #20 
Laki

Okay, I'll pick up liquid. Thanks :)

Also, do I soak the roots and all the leaves in a separate bowl or do I just add it to the tank? And will the fish be affected? Or will it disrupt the regular dechlorinator?