Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2012, 10:52 AM   #1 
Sheldon31

Platy, neon and bleeding heart tetras.

My other half gets paid the end of this month and we want to stock the 15gal. He likes Platys and I love the bleeding heart tetras. I know the tetras are compatable with my neons and Platys are but I was wondering are their requirements going to mesh. Do they eat the same? Water temps, I know Platys are slightly brackish but can they live in freshwater fine? are Platys quite dirty fish? What sort of water changes would I be looking at?

Any help would be great :)
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #2 
ladayen

Platy and tetra have different PH and GH requirements, shouldn't be mixed. With 7 neon tetras already in the 15g you're pretty close to fully stocked already. You might be able to add a couple more neons but tetras require groups and there just isn't enough room for another group in that tank.

Platy aren't brackish at all btw. They require hard water and people often think that salt is a suitable substance to harden the water with. People sometimes use mineral salts or epsom salts which aren't salt at all but just different minerals.
ladayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #3 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Bleeding heart tetra get pretty large, and since you need a group they'd need around 30 gallons to be happy.
What is your pH and hardness? If you have hard water, it's fine for the platies (not so much for the tetra).
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #4 
Sheldon31

A 15 gallon 2 foot tank is over stocked with 7 neons? Sounds a bit off to me? Would want someone else to confirm that because I was under the impression that there was plenty room for another school or 2 of tetras as I'd already asked this before.. This is all ideas at the moment, nothing set in stone. I thought Platys might prefer harder water. I'm gettin a bit frustrated and thinking of getting another 6 neons and calling it a day bacause nothing can live and thrive with something else.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Youd be able to do a small tetra species. Bleeding hearts are really big, that's why. :p
Old 04-13-2012, 10:32 AM   #6 
Sheldon31

But am I nearly fully stocked with 7 neons like the previous poster suggested? It looks as if really a 2 foot tank is just not worth all my time energy and money on it if I can keep 1 group of 7 fish in there. Not really the community tank they are sold as. Grrr I'm annoyed now.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #7 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Nope. As long as you choose a species similar in size and temperament as your neons, you are fine.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #8 
Sheldon31

It just sounds a bit silly, 7 tiny little fish in a big tank with 2ft by 1ft foot print and it be nearly over stocked. Sometimes I miss being ignorant to all these issues and just going down to an lfs and saying I'll have that one, that one and that one and getting on with it. Ive never killed a fish in all my years of fish keeping even as a child. Doing it right this time has been so bad for my blood pressure and stress levels! I think I'll stick to plan a. Get a school of rummy nose or black neons.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #9 
Bombalurina

I think a tank with a school of neons and a school of black neons, glowlights or blue neons would look beautiful. Lots of activity and colour. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #10 
ladayen

Let me try this again.. my words weren't what my brain was thinking.

Do you have any plants?
ladayen is offline   Reply With Quote