Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #1 
Raspberry Betta

Exclamation What's wrong with my betta??

I am a new betta owner. My betta had been living happily in a bowl (over a gallon). When it came time for a water change, we changed the bowl (two gallons). I went to sleep and the next morning the new bowl had cracked. There was just enough water for him to survive. We cleaned and transfered him back to the old bowl. I know you have to wait until the temps are about the same, but we couldn't. The glass could have caved in.

Ever since the transfer he has been acting weird. He clings to the sides of the bowl. And recently spit out some food. When he swims, he sometimes twitches.

I think the transfers may have shocked him. Is he going to be ok? What can I do for him?

Please help.

Housing
What size is your tank? A little more than a gallon
What temperature is your tank? 72-75
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Food and Topfin freeze dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? The Betta Food is every Monday and Friday (3 pellets). The bloodworms are a day after feeding (1 or 2).
Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every week/week 1/2 (This was the first one since we got him)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? All
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? It is regular tap water

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Not at all
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? somewhat..
When did you start noticing the symptoms? after the transfer
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? we got him from the pet store a week ago soo.. im not sure.

Last edited by Raspberry Betta; 04-12-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Raspberry Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #2 
frazier71

He's going to need a bigger home. Atleast 2.5 gallons you can get a 3 gallon critter keeper for like 10 dollars. 72 is a little cool. Bettas new 76-82 is good. Also a filter would be good too. Themes not much you can do but if anything is get him some stress coat by api are you using water conditioners like dechlorinator
frazier71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #3 
frazier71

I just read the rest of your info you cannot use just regular tap water it really needs to ne dechlorinated. You should go to your local pet store and get tap water conditioner I use api but prime is great too and stress coat. Bettas need more than just a bowl to live in. They need hiding like a ornament and silk plants to be happy. There's a lot Bettas need. You can't listen to petstores like petsmart and Patco because many people do not know what they are talking about. You can get a 5 gallon starter kit for like 30$ at a petstore or even Walmart.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #4 
frazier71

I'm not trying to be rude but there is a lot you need to know so ill put alot down and things you need for them

First Bettas like warmer temperatures 78-82. The water needs to be dechlorinate or It will hurt them. This means every water change it needs to be done before you put the water back in the tank. Bettas need a tank when doing a water change you need to get the water as close to the temperature as the tank as possible or your Betta an go into shock. Atleast 3 gallons 5 is optimal to be happy with lot of hiding spots. Heaters are a must adjustable are preferred but I like the preset aqeon one it holds my tanks ay 78 on and filters are good Bettas do not like currents so get one adjustable flow or you can baffle with a water bottle. It's easy just Google it. If you have a filter you don't have to do water changes as often. I do 2 30% changes a week and they are all fine and happy. Bettas should be fed 6 days a week fasting one day. 1 or 2 pellets 2 times a day is good. Blood worms are treats only. Be careful to not over feed or constipation can occur. Some things to have on hand are aquarium salt, epsom salt (no color or scent) stress coat is wonderful helps aid fin repair. And I like to have ick meds on hand just incase of out break. But that's just me. I recommend you get him a bigger tank with heated dechlorinated water ASAP.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #5 
Raspberry Betta

Thank you for your help! I checked the water temp and it is at 66 degrees. I know this is not right. I got him a bigger tank but I am hesitant about transfering him again. He has been through a lot.

Do you think he is just cold?

Last edited by Raspberry Betta; 04-12-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #6 
Luimeril

actually, i'm not trying to be rude, but anything over a gallon is good. there's betta bowl heaters out there now that heat tanks a gallon and up, so even a gallon is okay. not GREAT, but better than nothing.

i do agree that he needs conditioner. i use Prime. i've had my smal bottle for just over a year, and even having 12 bettas in the house and a 10 gallon, it's only half-gone. Stress Coat + is great, and has aloe, which is good for them.

since you couldn't acclimate him, though, he might be in shock. what do you usually use to acclimate him? i used to use the cups they come in, but recently have been using those half-gallon 'betta tanks' that someone gave me.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #7 
Raspberry Betta

There was no time to acclimate him so I had to transfer him right away because our new bowl had cracked and water was pouring out of it.

I'm not sure if he is in shock or not. Right now the temp of the water is 67. He is not clinging to the side as much.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #8 
frazier71

A gallon is just okay they really won't thrive. 5 gallon is optimal.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

he can be in shock. If you can, slowly increase the temperature... if you lack a heater atm, place him higher, in a warmer room... not too close to windows or doors, or drafty hallways Just keep an eye on him, and I do recommend tap water conditioner because chlorine can hurt all fish... And for some, it can kill them. Lack of tap water conditioner may make him sick, lethargic, and dull colored.

Frazier, we all have opinions and there is controversy on size. A gallon is FINE, but 2 or so for heater reasons is better. But right now, they need to work with what they have.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #10 
Luimeril

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazier71 View Post
A gallon is just okay they really won't thrive. 5 gallon is optimal.
pardon, but i beg to differ. i have a Plakat who, for years, didn't thrive in a 2 gallon. in her one gallon, she was active, grew, was never sick at all, while in the 2 gallon she was stressed, got ick, and stayed clamped.

and, not everyone can have a 5 gallon tank for their betta. i, am one of those. but, i try to give my bettas at least 2 gallons, but sometimes, it's not possible. sometimes, they have to be in something smaller.

also, you seem to forget about breeders, who house their bettas, oftentimes in tanks as small as .5 gallons, and they never have tail biters, rarely have illness, and their bettas live long, happy lives.

this user stated that they had their betta in a 2 gallon, but it cracked. and that they have a larger tank, but they're scared to transfer him into it right now. so, instead of spouting that they need to be in bigger, how about helping them figure out how to help their betta with what's wrong?
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote