Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #1 
sethmilman

Can I condition tap water a week before I use it?

I want to store water in my office each week that I can use to change tank water because a) it's convenient for me, and b) it's guaranteed to be at room temperature when it's time to change the water. My question is: when should I condition the water? Should I condition it when I fill the jugs with tap, or should I condition it a week later just before I perform the water change? Are there any issues, advantages, or disadvantages to either approach? Thanks in advance for any replies.
sethmilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #2 
BeckyFish97

Hi
I personally prepare my water 24hours before the water change, I put the dechlorinator in straight away when I pour the water, then when I put the water into my tank I add the same amount of Stress Zyme, it calms my fish down from the stress of the water change.
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #3 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I get the right amount of water, pour the conditioner in, mix it with a net, and then pour the water into the tank. Bettas actually like water at around 78F-82F.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #4 
sethmilman

Thank you for the replies, they are very helpful. But my question relates to when to add the conditioner. I am going to store water in jugs in my office for a week before I use it to perform a weekly water change. Should I add the conditioner when I fill the jugs (i.e. a week before I add the water to the tank), or should I add the conditioner to the water just before I perform the water change? Or is there any difference? Thanks.
sethmilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #5 
Twilight Storm

I don't know if it's the right thing to do or not, but I have some gallon water jugs that I refill after water changes.

I refill them and usually use the tap water dechlorinator right after I fill them then let them sit in the area my fish tanks are in until the next change.

I've never had a problem doing it this way. I'd make sure the jugs you are storing stay about the same temp as your tank. I've never used StressZyme, but if you choose to, you'd probably want to add that right before you add the jug. (Only a guess on that though!)

Interesting question, I'm interested to see more of what other people do too. :D
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #6 
BeckyFish97

Maybe get the water ready, leave it for a week, but 24 hours before you do the change put the conditioner in? Maybe give it a little time to mix, I found that when I put the conditioner in straight before the effect wasn't as good as putting it in 24 hours before.
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #7 
Draug Isilme

Filling jugs of water and adding dechlorinator right after should be just fine. I've done this numerous times and have gone up to nearly three weeks as I love to have water on hand in case of an emergency and I'm usually preoccupied in between the water changes so it helps that everytime after a water change I refill and add dechlorinator so I won't forget later on. My betta and snail have never shown signs of stress- the only time my betta ever got flustered is when I used to use a net, but of course that had nothing to do with the water quality/temperature...
The only thing is since bettas love their water so warm and my room temperature is a bit below that about 90% of the time, I still make sure to acclimate my fish. So pretty much with every water change, just make sure you acclimate your fish properly and you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Edit: I also use prime. Whenever I fill it, I make sure to shake after the water change and right before I add the water to the tank.. just in case the dechlorinator doesn't magically spread everywhere xD I'm paranoid like that...
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

As Draug says, that's fine, but Sethmilman, why do you want it to be at room temperature? You'll just have to heat it up again.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:09 PM   #9 
kfish

Beside temperature, there's no problem with it... since I only top off my tank, as it's a Walstad planted tank, I always have a jug of conditioned water around and dump it in away from my fish (usually on top of the heater, lol). When I was doing 50% changes once a week on a cycled 5 gallon, I kept one gallon jug filled with conditioned water just to make it go a little faster, but I kept it in a warm area.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote