Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2012, 12:53 AM   #11 
RackinRocky

Wow, lots of replies so quickly! I'm liking this board! Well, if mollies are bullies, I definitely don't want to go there. I always thought mollies were so quiet and peaceful with other fish. At least that was my experience in the past. I think I'll just get three more girl bettas, as suggested, and try that. As for wall-to-wall plants, I have some coming, but it won't be enough, I don't think. And my options are limited because my tank has LEDs and as we all know, they are only good for low light plants. Plus, the plants will only be 6-10" tall, and that won't reach the top of the tank, which is 16" high. So that may be a problem. I saw some bamboo stuff at Petsmart. Is that an option? I do have two small caves. But of course the loaches are in there a lot.

If I up the number of loaches I have, I'll not be able to add 3-4 more girls, as I'll be over my limit. Or at least close to it. I'm loving those loaches. They are adorable! The Otos too.

Now, about the brackish water. Why is it I read that Mollies can adapt just fine to water with no salt in it? I actually read that in a few places online. I think the balloon Mollies are adorable, but hubby likes the common type. Now I really don't know what to do. I suppose I could try the mollie, then take it back right away if they start bickering. But what a pain--the nearest Petsmart is half an hour away.

With the albino cories, I was thinking of adding a Julii cory, as they have them right now at Petsmart. I've always loved spotted cories. I'm hoping it will school with my albinos.

I'll let you guys know how the girls do. But if they go into the death roll, I'll know it ain't gonna work! LOL. Thanks for the advice!
RackinRocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:30 AM   #12 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by RackinRocky View Post
Wow, lots of replies so quickly! I'm liking this board! Well, if mollies are bullies, I definitely don't want to go there. I always thought mollies were so quiet and peaceful with other fish. At least that was my experience in the past. I think I'll just get three more girl bettas, as suggested, and try that. As for wall-to-wall plants, I have some coming, but it won't be enough, I don't think. And my options are limited because my tank has LEDs and as we all know, they are only good for low light plants. Plus, the plants will only be 6-10" tall, and that won't reach the top of the tank, which is 16" high. So that may be a problem. I saw some bamboo stuff at Petsmart. Is that an option? I do have two small caves. But of course the loaches are in there a lot.
I wouldn't advise bamboo unless you have an open-top tank. The leaves must be above the water or the plant will rot. Of course, that doesn't provide much cover for the girls.
I have a low-light tank (my light is really old and probably not giving off the good stuff anymore) and my plants have all reached the 18" height of the tank. :) Try ludwigia repens, rotala wallachi, anacharis, lacefern, hornwort and wisteria. :) Those will all grow nice and tall and you can mix them with java fern and anubias for mid-level cover.
If they don't cover all the heights yet, don't stress. They'll grow. Also, floating plants like duckweed, frogbit and red root floater will all help. :)

If I up the number of loaches I have, I'll not be able to add 3-4 more girls, as I'll be over my limit. Or at least close to it. I'm loving those loaches. They are adorable! The Otos too.
I'd suggest risking overstocking a little bit to make sure that all the fish have proper schools. :) Overstocking can easily be helped with live plants, a powerful filter and extra changes.

Now, about the brackish water. Why is it I read that Mollies can adapt just fine to water with no salt in it? I actually read that in a few places online. I think the balloon Mollies are adorable, but hubby likes the common type. Now I really don't know what to do. I suppose I could try the mollie, then take it back right away if they start bickering. But what a pain--the nearest Petsmart is half an hour away.
Personally I'm not a fan of any balloon fish - breeding for that shape just isn't healthy, IMHO.
Whether or not mollies need salt is a massive debate. Seems to me that it's best to replicate their natural environment as closely as possible, but there's no doubt that they can tolerate totally fresh environments. BUT mollies are social fish and need groups of three, so a single molly is a sad molly.

With the albino cories, I was thinking of adding a Julii cory, as they have them right now at Petsmart. I've always loved spotted cories. I'm hoping it will school with my albinos.
It will, but only because it will be sad and lonely because it will have no other friends. :( Albinos are almost always corydoras anaeus, which also come in bronze and green (not to be confused with emerald!) colour variants. So you need other c. anaeus. :) Sadly, they aren't spotty.

I'll let you guys know how the girls do. But if they go into the death roll, I'll know it ain't gonna work! LOL. Thanks for the advice!
Hope it all works out for you! :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:27 AM   #13 
Shirleythebetta

From my experience with molly's they live much longer in brackish water and will fend off disease better. And they are agressive. I have had some attack and kill other fish. They get more agressive if they don't have the correct female to male ratio. You will be better off not doing the molly's. If you decide to then be careful. It sounds like you love this female betta a lot. Personally I wouldn't risk her or the health of a molly.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:02 AM   #14 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Try platies, fresh water and not mean. :D
Also, if you get girl betta, you have to completely rearrange the decor, take old girl out, put new girls in, then put old girl in. :)
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #15 
Sena Hansler

I personally had mollies. They said it didn't matter if they had salt... They die faster and got disease!!! I moved their babies to their own tank and added salt as recommended, and they lived longer and I had no disease casualties

The common molly is vry vicious... I had to get rid of mine because they always mauled, maimed and killed my other fish... they are FAST.

Balloon mollies can be large bullies, but their mouths are no harm to anyone :) I had a male with some in freshwater, and if they bumped him with their mouth he'd just flare at them in startlement. They've never done harm, and cleaned my algae up But they too should be in brackish water. People can claim all they want it's "okay" and yeah they can LIVE in fresh water, but can they really thrive? :/ Same with bettas in a cup... they can LIVE but can they thrive?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:45 AM   #16 
RackinRocky

Gonna try this again. . . . uggggh. My first post didn't go through, said I had to refresh page and log in again after I'd already posted a rather long post. Frustrating!

OK, so it looks like I really messed up. I did EVERYTHING wrong! Went to Petsmart early, before reading the posts this morning. Big mistake. I got three female bettas, a Dalmation Molly and a Julii Cory. Yep, I blew it.

Rearranged the tank somewhat (not much) and took my original girl out so I could release them all together, after the floating routine. Did that, and everything seemed fine at first except for some minor flaring. After a couple of hours though, it became apparent that one of the new girls is a bully (at least only one of them is, lol!) She was chasing my original girl, and then started chasing another one. No serious fighting, just a lot of fast chasing that I knew had to be stressful to the others. The Dalmation Molly just watched calmly, bothering no one, and no one bothering her either.

I was glad at this point that I'd bought a divider while I was at Petsmart, just in case this happened. But just my luck, it doesn't fit. There is a tiny space on both sides, and those fish have no trouble slipping through it! The bully was out in no time, but at least now my original girl can slip through the mesh a lot faster than the bully (who is quite a bit slower to figure things out) and get away. Found out why the divider doesn't fit. It says it'll fit a 29-55 gallon tank, and the salesgirl said it should fit my 20 high. Well, I just measured my tank, and its 12" deep, and the divider is 11.375." No wonder! So I'm going to take it back to Petsmart tomorrow and see if they'll refund me for it. Won't they just love me? If no refund, then lesson learned--always measure!

About the bully--what would you do? Would you take her back to Petsmart tomorrow? I feel that's the best thing to do. Would you get another female, or just keep the three? I keep reading you should have at least 4-5 in a sorority, but if these three will get along, I'd rather not take a chance at getting another bully. Know what I mean? And since someone said Mollies are happiest with their own kind, should I get another Mollie for her? Or would that just encourage aggressiveness toward the bettas?

The Julii Cory is stressing a bit tonight, and since he probably isn't as happy as he should be with the albinos, I'm going to get him another Julii while I'm there. If these problems continue, I'm almost tempted to just get some fancy guppies and keep just my originial betta!
Old 04-14-2012, 02:32 AM   #17 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by RackinRocky View Post
Gonna try this again. . . . uggggh. My first post didn't go through, said I had to refresh page and log in again after I'd already posted a rather long post. Frustrating!

OK, so it looks like I really messed up. I did EVERYTHING wrong! Went to Petsmart early, before reading the posts this morning. Big mistake. I got three female bettas, a Dalmation Molly and a Julii Cory. Yep, I blew it.
Don't beat yourself up, you weren't to know we had replied. :)

Rearranged the tank somewhat (not much) and took my original girl out so I could release them all together, after the floating routine. Did that, and everything seemed fine at first except for some minor flaring. After a couple of hours though, it became apparent that one of the new girls is a bully (at least only one of them is, lol!) She was chasing my original girl, and then started chasing another one. No serious fighting, just a lot of fast chasing that I knew had to be stressful to the others. The Dalmation Molly just watched calmly, bothering no one, and no one bothering her either.

I was glad at this point that I'd bought a divider while I was at Petsmart, just in case this happened. But just my luck, it doesn't fit. There is a tiny space on both sides, and those fish have no trouble slipping through it! The bully was out in no time, but at least now my original girl can slip through the mesh a lot faster than the bully (who is quite a bit slower to figure things out) and get away. Found out why the divider doesn't fit. It says it'll fit a 29-55 gallon tank, and the salesgirl said it should fit my 20 high. Well, I just measured my tank, and its 12" deep, and the divider is 11.375." No wonder! So I'm going to take it back to Petsmart tomorrow and see if they'll refund me for it. Won't they just love me? If no refund, then lesson learned--always measure!

About the bully--what would you do? Would you take her back to Petsmart tomorrow? I feel that's the best thing to do. Would you get another female, or just keep the three? I keep reading you should have at least 4-5 in a sorority, but if these three will get along, I'd rather not take a chance at getting another bully. Know what I mean? And since someone said Mollies are happiest with their own kind, should I get another Mollie for her? Or would that just encourage aggressiveness toward the bettas?
Personally, I wouldn't return the female just yet. A bit of chasing is completely normal, as is a bit of nipping. They need to establish their pecking order. If she isn't being dangerously violent, I wouldn't take her back yet.
However, I would return the molly and the cory. Both need their own species and your tank can't support another 2 mollies AND another 3 juliis.

The Julii Cory is stressing a bit tonight, and since he probably isn't as happy as he should be with the albinos, I'm going to get him another Julii while I'm there. If these problems continue, I'm almost tempted to just get some fancy guppies and keep just my originial betta!
As I say, two julii won't be enough. I would return him and get a bronze or green cory, if you want some colour. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #18 
Sena Hansler

I agree with the above post. And yes, remove the molly. They love being social with their own kind, and eventually she WILL snap. And I know this first hand. They get really stressed and tense without other mollies around them Plus you'd have to sex them to make sure you get all females, not accidentally 2 males and a female! I learned to sex them myself because the employee was "guessing".

Bully females is always common. My females right now, only 4 got away without shredded fins or a boo boo. Rose had popeye from being rammed (poor baby didn't do anything!) Savannah and the three bigger gals have shredded fins and missing scales, one has a cut on her lip... As is the life of a new sorority lol.

You should get another girl, because 3 can be a dangerous number.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #19 
RackinRocky

Oh, heavens! The drama continues. Went to Petsmart early again, and they had sold out of Julii Cories. Didn't have any type of cories left, for that matter. I could have traded the bully for another betta, but I was just too afraid of either it going after someone, or someone going after it. And hubby is getting sick of fish drama, lol. There has been complete peace in the tank today. In fact, two of the girls stay close together, and the other one really doesn't care if they are around her or not. No chasing or nipping, just a little "posturing" this morning once or twice, but it only lasted maybe 10 seconds. Now I don't know what to do with the Molly, as my only other tank has a male betta, and I can only imagine what he'd do to the Molly! Certainly don't want to risk it. And of course I'm already attached to her. So, if the Molly gets testy, I guess I'll just have to divide the tank (if I can find a divider that fits) and get her a buddy or two.

By the way, I got two more bunches of Hornwort today (already had one bunch, but I felt it wasn't enough for hiding), a Val spiralis, Echinodorus Parviflous 'Tropica' and an Anubia nana 'petite." The anubia and one of the swords went in the 10 gallon, but all the others, along with anacharis, marimo ball and two Java ferns are in the sorority tank. So that, along with a cave and a log with holes in it, I'm hoping will be enough for the bettas to get away from each other. Oh, and I'm waiting to get a Aponogeton Crispus in the mail. So I'm trying really hard to make this work.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #20 
Sena Hansler

you'll need two buddies for the molly. and I do warn, they do better in brackish water (which I do NOT recommend for bettas) just get females... that way you won't have constant breeding (any if the females come pregant the babies will be eaten, hide and grow up, or you can feed them to other fish!)

Good luck, however. I hope you won't be shocked when those plants give ya hitchiking snails hehe :3 it's happened so often xD Mine from China came with a curly shelled snail :o I'll keep him xD