Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #11 
SeaHorse
TFK Moderator

Awwww I'm so sorry!
Do you want some help trying to sort out why? What is Rueben? Who else was in the tank?
How long has your tank been set up? Can you give us some details about your tank? There is a thread tool in here that lists all the questions that gives us the info we need to help sort things out. PH, AM, NI, NA, tank size, etc etc. Live plants?
Anyone know if this is a tough species to keep in captivity? Some find Panda Cory's hard to keep past 6 months. I do know most Cory's like a group of 3+ to feel safe.
Anyway....We are here to help if you wish it.
SeaHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #12 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

My pH and hardness are ideal for the species..
I can't test things till I get home, but the tank has been fully cycled.
It was the betta and him, with another betta separated by a divider. The tank is 15 gallons, and he was on the 10 gallon side.
If it means anything, he wasn't floating, he was still at the bottom.
I added Marimo, apongeton and crypts yesterday, I figured they wouldn't have any pathogens since they had been in shipping for 3 weeks and were grown emerged.
The tank took a month to fully cycle, then I had one betta for a week, then added him, then added the other betta a week later. The betta are healthy looking..
Reuben is the betta he lived with..
As far as I know Pygmy cories are hardier than pandas, but I don't know by how much.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #13 
Sheldon31

A breeder friend of mine offered me 6 Pygmys at a bargain price once but I turned her down because of distance and a stupid issue with gravel (I bloody hate gravel right now). He's so sweet :)

edit: ooh just read your last fewposts I'm sorry for your loss :(

Last edited by Sheldon31; 04-13-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #14 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Oh, do cories REQUIRE vegetation in their diet? I've been feeding him omega one betta diet... x.x
Old 04-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #15 
thekoimaiden

D: D: I'm so sorry!! He was so adorable.

As for why you lost him, this is the only thing I can really find:

"The Corydoras are quite sensitive to water parameters and quality, and highly intolerant of salt, chemicals and medications. Signs of stress usually begin with rapid respiration, then lethargy (often just "sitting" on plant leaves, wood or the substrate respirating heavily, sometimes near the surface) and sometimes rolling onto one side. At such signs, a partial water change of at least 50% with a good water conditioner should immediately be made, and appropriate steps taken to remove the cause. Any sudden fluctuation in water chemistry or temperature often induces shock, causing the fish to "faint" and fall over on its side. Corydoras introduced to new aquaria will settle in better if the tank is established; corys do not adjust well to a new aquarium with still-unstable water conditions and fluctuations. When introduced to a relatively-new aquarium or one with water parameters outside the preferred range, this species will sometimes die within a few weeks." -- TFK Profile on pygmy cories

I couldn't find anything about vegetation. Maybe they eat bits of algae in the tank.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #16 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

He actually was lethargic last night.. Omg i feel horrible.
I did the water change, maybe it was too late?
Do you think it could be that I have a carpet of hornwort needles? It's hard to vacuum daily :/
Old 04-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #17 
thekoimaiden

Don't feel bad, Olympia. Those little guys aren't very hardy. The hornwort needles might have had something to do with it, but we can't really say for sure. We also don't know what he encountered before he got to you.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #18 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I don't take failure well. Dx
I really wanna get back with this species if I can find more, going to test my water today, then head to the fish store. I don't know if the tests will show anything since I changed 40% yesterday. :s Betta have no signs of anything.
I will try to find a decent brand of sinking pellet (can't do NLS, it's crazy priced at the LFS).. I never did see him eating. :/ I doubt he died of loneliness either, he seemed quite unstressed and fine on his own, honestly..

Would it be better to do maybe 2 20% water changes a week instead of 1 40% change? I could vacuum the hornwort more often, and things wouldn't build up as much.
If they have endlers I may pick up 3 males, I think they're hardier and could help "establish" the tank better, but if it's fully cycled I don't see what else that could mean Dx
They also have julii cory at the LFS, I may go for that species in the end >_<

That photo was taken 2 days ago, and he was still zipping around like crazy. Yesterday he didn't swim away from the gravel vacc, and seemed less active, but I didn't think that much of it. I'm going to remove my blame from Reuben though, he probably just nibbled the cory's tail after he died..

Last edited by Olympia; 04-13-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #19 
thekoimaiden

Your tank is only about a month and a half old, right? Even after the cycle is done, it still takes tanks another 2 or 3 months to fully establish themselves because not only does the nitrogen need to balance but the pH, KH, and GH need to balance out and keep steady. This process can take a while but because every tank is a unique biological entity, we really have no clue how long your can take. It looks like these guys are pretty sensitive, so maybe let the tank age a bit before you try them again.

Byron talks a bit about tank maturation in this thread: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...uration-95541/
Old 04-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #20 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Wow, fish keeping gets more and more complicated. :s
I will wait on cories, probably a few months to be safe.
Can I try the endler's? I've found sources say they are very hardy, like guppies.
It'd just be 3 males. >_<
Gonna go test the water though, that'll tell me what I should shouldn't do next.