Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #21 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Alright, test results are in.. 0/0/around 5ppm for the usuals. :s I'm gonna chalk it up to maturation problems.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #22 
thekoimaiden

Ya. Fishkeeping is a lot harder than most people think. There is a lot of science in this hobby. The more advanced and out-of-the-ordinary species of fish you get, the more scientific the hobby becomes.

Endlers are supposed to be hardier than the guppies you find nowadays (what with all the mass-production and inbreeding guppies go through). I've never had them, but would like to one day. I don't know how much they will help along the maturation process, but they would be neat to have.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #23 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Well they had none.
I don't think they'll have pygmy cories or endlers for a long time. I can tell the owner feels bad that I come in every week asking for them. Dx
I bought a chocolate rabbit snail today. I love the Sulawesi inverts. Then I read that some of them are heavy plant eaters, don't know why I've never heard this, rabbit snails are supposed to be good for small planted tanks, but my growth was just planted -__-'
Old 04-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #24 
Bombalurina

My Endlers certainly seem like pretty tough little guys. :)

I'm sorry about your cory, Olympia. *hugs*
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #25 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I was so bummed out at school today.
My dad looked at me like I'm stupid because I'm gonna bury him instead of flush him. :/

Hopefully I will get another chance to work with this species in the future, I was getting really enthusiastic about the "plain" little guys. ^-^
Old 04-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #26 
Bombalurina

I bury all my fish. Don't worry; it's something that non-fish people will never understand. We get it. :)

I don't think they are plain - they are so cute! I wish I had some. I'm sure in future you will be successful.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #27 
SeaHorse
TFK Moderator

Hi Olympia
Well you are learning this hobby the same way most of us have! Trial and error and sadly at times a few fish deaths along the way. It is not helped by LFS (Local Fish Stores) selling unsuitable fish to customers just to get a sale) So it is up to us to take our time! I know it is hard to do. Sounds like you are at the LFS regularly, so if you find a fish you like, like your Cory or new Snail, ask lots of questions but doubt what they say and go home and research the species. Make a pact to not buy on impulse or emotion. If you find info that is different, go back and have a conversation with them about it, politely challenge it. This is a great way to learn, and they begin to respect your knowledge and caring for the hobby. Who knows it might lead to a part time job in a fish store some day! You never know where these interactions take us!
When I started the hobby over 40 years ago, the LFS told us to wait 24 hours, put in the fish and hope for the best basically. I can't count the number of times over the years I tore down the tank and scrubbed it clean 2x a year, washed the gravel.... only to experience a new cycle and fish death again. It's only in the last 2 years being in here at TFK that I finally understand what is going on, and I'm now in my early 50's. Bacteria Cycle + Chlorine = Death. Think of all the fish you will save by learning this stuff now! LOL
I know when you go back to the store, the chosen species might be gone.... but it might be gone anyway (death and your money) and it's easier to deal with disappointment than death/grief.... right?
Pop into chat some evening if you can.... you can ask lots of questions in there!!
SeaHorse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #28 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Hmm well I researched the Cory and figured I could handle him.
The snail, I'd heard they were great, kind of an impulse :p
I know a lot species are out of my reach right now, my medium hard water really limits me. I think I will wait it out for endlers, I don't want to resort to guppies. I'll just let my plants grow for now, until they get the male endlers that I want. After that I'll start thinking about cories again.
I'm only 17, and I get no respect at the fish store, unless I'm with my dad who doesn't know a thing about fish! :/
Old 04-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #29 
SeaHorse
TFK Moderator

Ya, I totally understand!! It's too bad really!
I'm not sure where you are located but the staff at the Big Al's in Newmarket is WAY more helpful than either the Barrie, Whitby or Scarborough stores. (Been to all 4)
And they would rather you ask questions and go home and think about it, cause you will be far more successful at the hobby and come back and buy more!!

Loved your Backyard garden thread, can't wait to see it in full bloom!
SeaHorse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #30 
littlegreen

I'm so sorry that he didn't make it! D:
littlegreen is offline   Reply With Quote