Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #1 
Cyndih70

Exclamation Lethargic and not eating, loss of color

Sushi has been very lethargic. He either sits on the bottom of the tank or he find a spot at the very top and just stays there. He hasnt eaten in many days, unless he scavenges off the bottom. I'm not always able to get the food he doesn't eat right away before it sinks and gets trapped in the marbles on the bottom. I've tried different brands of food, to include bloodworms and shrimp, and soaking in garlic water. But he never shows interest in it right away. One time he sat at the top of the tank and stared at the food for over a minute...nipped at it and swam away. At first I though it was just new fish stress...but we are heading on 2 weeks and he's not perkin' up any. Yesterday I filmed him briefly on the bottom of the tank. He looked like he was having a lot of trouble breathing. Here's the video http://youtu.be/Zy8j5pfifvE I don't know what else I can do. Any suggestions?

Housing
What size is your tank? 3.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80-82 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Pellets, Bloodworms/shrimp
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 pellets in the morning and 2 in evening. (hasn't been eating though unless he might be scavenging off the bottom)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 25% once a week 100% once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25% or 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress Coat and today added Epsom Salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Tested water at pet store yesterday. He said water parameters were good.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes, his body color has faded
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Yes, he is very lethargic and either sits on the bottom of the tank or sits at the top of the tank. No swimming around much
When did you start noticing the symptoms? I have had him 12 days or so and he's been like this for about 9 or 10 of them
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Used BettaFix. Was told after the fact, its not good. So, I did a 100% water change this morning and added epsom salt.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that Im aware of.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Unknown...i've had him less than 2 weeks
Cyndih70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #2 
Cyndih70

Did 100% water change today. Added API Stress Coat and Epsom salt. Sushi seems to be perking up. Still not eager about eating. He's just not one of those fishees that waits eagerly for his food and gobbles it up.
But en toto... he's doing better today!
Cyndih70 is offline   Reply With Quote