Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #1 
fishman1126

Exclamation please respond, im new...

hello, i am making the decition of buying 2 beta fish, and i have a few questions. firstly, how do i tell the male from female ( i ask this because i wish to breed them) secondly, could i possibly use just a large 30 gallon storage container for their tank? if not what .would be a low-budget solution?, next, at what age, if any, would my betas be able to breed? and lastly, what types of betas are good for breeding (preferably light colored) ?

thanks
Fishman1126
fishman1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #2 
MaisyDawgThirteen

You need to have a lot of experiance to breed . . . a year or two minimum.
Males and females can not be kept together as they will fight. I'd reccomend getting a 2.5+ gallon tank for each of them with a heater.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #3 
ZergyMonster

If you need to ask these questions then you're not ready for breeding. I reccommend reading EVERYTHING in THIS FORUM and finding a secondary source for information. Breeding bettas is not cheap and is not easy. It will take several weeks preparation and hundreds of dollars to set up.

I would learn more on how to take care of your betta before you even start thinking about breeding bettas. Rushing to breed bettas is what gets your fry and your fish killed.

As for having a tub as a tank, it will work just be sure that it is clean and that you don't have a male with any other betta or they will kill each other. And you can only have females together under certain conditions. Which you can read about here.

Please do your research and make sure you're ready before you decide to purchase your fish.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

If you have bred other fish, I warn you that betta are very different. You really have to know what you are doing or else you could lose one or both fish, due to aggression.
Also, don't go buy pet store fish. After you research and decide that you want to, find someone from the IBC on here, they will hook you up with a great starting pair of fish! Martinismommy is a great choice for getting a starting pair, she's also president of the IBC and a member on here.
Also, I warn you, you will not make money off of this any time soon IF ever, assuming you provide excellent conditions :)
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #5 
fishman1126

thank you for your replies. Now i understand its recomended for me not to breed soon....thanks my fish wouldve been dead if it wernt for you ( i was going to breed them within the first week). now i know that, can you recomend any "starting" betta fish?

fishman1126
Old 04-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #6 
ZergyMonster

I would recommend a delta or dragon scale betta, from what I have seen they have the best time swimming and usually have greater health. Just look for a fish that is actively swimming in the cup and doesn't have any: sores, fin issues, scales missing, or fuzzy.

It is best to ask when your local pet store gets their bettas shipped in, that is the best time to get your betta because you get them before they start falling ill and you get first picks on the colors you want.

Good luck and Happy betta keeping.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #7 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Good choice. :D
I'd probably just go to a pet shop, you can chose whichever you like the most. Since it's your first one, try to find one that's alert and healthy looking, that acts hyper when you pick up the cup.
Maisy already said this, but find at least a 2.5 gallon tank with a heater. You don't need a filter for 2.5-5 gallon tanks. You can try looking at online classifieds, someone could be selling a tank for cheap.
Also, most pet stores will have the cups say "male betta" and "female betta" the males usually have brighter colors and longer fins :)
Old 04-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #8 
fishman1126

thanks! i appreciate how fast people respond on this forum! but i have one last question... now ive been told that no matter what species, or gender your fish is, it cant have a friend to live with .... is this true?

Last edited by fishman1126; 04-12-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #9 
ZergyMonster

In my first post I posted a link that talks about Female betta sororities. You can get more information by reading about them throughout this forum. The main thing about sororities is that you need to have dense planting as well as plenty of hiding places.

I currently own a 10 gallon sorority with 5 female bettas, I was going to have 6 but she was not a very friendly girl. Some girls are just not suited to the sorority life and will require you to either return them or given their own tank.

Here is also a guide on what other fish if any can possibly be with your betta. I have 6 neon tetras living with my dragon scale male betta and they are just fine.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #10 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Most betta will tolerate living with other peaceful fish, however some will not. More often though, it's the betta that gets picked on and attacked, the males big fins slow them down and are an easy target for more aggressive fish. Use that guide to help you decide.
Also, word of advice- NEVER listen to what the people at the pet store say- they almost always know nothing.