Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2012, 11:31 PM   #11 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

The tank cycled with gravel, so taking it out probably isn't a great idea, you have several fish in there, including cories. If you really want to, you could take out 1/3 of it, wait two months, take another third out, wait two months and take the last third out. That should give it time to catch up. I'd put a thin layer of playsand for the cories, they really need something to nose around in.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:22 AM   #12 
ravenwinds

I agree w/ Olympia...don't take it all out at once or it will mess w/your cycle...
Also, fish are accustomed to darker, less reflective bottoms...it makes them feel safer and they might get nervous and always attempt to hide...some fish act a little crazy w/bare bottom tanks.
In addition, no substrate can limit what plants you can have...all my tanks are dirt substrate covered w/black sand...I love Natural Planted Tanks, and evidently so do my fish since everyone is having babies w/o consulting me and w/no help from me!
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:30 AM   #13 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

Sand as substrate sounds awesome but i heard that sand messes up the filters.
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:33 AM   #14 
Bombalurina

Depends entirely on your filter.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:24 AM   #15 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Internal filters can't have sand, most hang one are fine, just keep the sand low enough that the flow doesn't disturb it.
Also, don't buy dark "tahitan moon sand", to my knowledge it is all made from glass shards which can inbed themselves to your cories, buy playsand at home depot. :)
Old 04-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #16 
ravenwinds

I use just plain old aquarium black sand, which also comes in reddish brown and white/cream, from Petco. No problems noted with any of my fish...in fact, my bettas love it as much as my cories. Daffodil lays on it w/fins spread and head slightly up as if he is in a lounge chair enjoying the sun! Of course, he also sits in a baby crypt(type of live plant...easy to care for and loves low to medium light) and spreads his fins so that it looks like he is in a throne! No damage to his body has been found.

Last edited by ravenwinds; 04-13-2012 at 02:00 PM. Reason: forgot to put in some things
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #17 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I'm sure there are some that are fine, but you should double check.. All CaribSea brand is glass, and the bags say "not for bottom dwellers". ;)
Old 04-14-2012, 06:37 AM   #18 
Hallyx
Reference Team

My 5g bare divided has been holding a cycle for two weeks. I'll let you know how I like it in two months.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote