Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2012, 08:32 PM   #1 
wystearya

Petco Bookshelf Aquarium?

Anyone have this tank? http://www.petco.com/product/14978/P...Aquarium-14978

It says it holds 6.6 gallons and is 8.13" L X 24" W X 9.25" H

Comes with a hood, though I know I would need a different light for my plants. I also would use my current sponge filter, so I don't care about what filter it comes with.

I'm considering trying to upgrade a bit from my current 5 gallon tank. I love my tank, but I would like my little guy to have more swimming room. The one I have is 16 inches at the widest part, and if I got this tank it would add another 8 inches of horizontal room to swim. Plus 1.6 more gallons of water.

I just wonder if this would be a good upgrade? I'm not sure how soon I would be able to get it, as right now I don't have a place to sit a longer tank. :/ But maybe I could get something set up if I can just find a sturdy table the right size.

Thanks for any and all input! :)
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #2 
hotrod57ts

i like that tank was thinking about getting one myself
hotrod57ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #3 
a123andpoof

They are nice tanks, but maybe a 10 gallon would suit your needs better? It would be more water, and they are a bit more compact then that. Just a suggestion. I love that bookshelf tank to!
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #4 
wystearya

Yeah, I know a 10 gallon would be shorter, but I want more length for him to swim in. ;)

I did find a nice sturdy and affordable shelf on Wal-mart.com http://www.walmart.com/ip/Whitmor-Su...-Shelf/3429395

This would hold the tank and not be in the way in my living room. I like having the tank in the living room because it is where I am most of the time. ;)

Anyway, this is probably not going to happen for a while. I need to budget. But I do think I want to upgrade him when I can!
Old 04-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #5 
ZergyMonster

I was going to buy this, my walmart has it for $22. I think it would look great with my 10 gallon sorority on it.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #6 
LuckyBlue

I'd like to get that tank and find a wall shelf to put it on.....
LuckyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #7 
wystearya

Zergy - That is a nice looking table! Just a bit long for the space I have though. ;)

LuckyBlue - That would be neat, but you would need a very sturdy wall shelf. Water is heavy!!
Old 04-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #8 
ZergyMonster

yup about 8-9 pounds per gallon. I guess you could make your own too. With a few cinder blocks and a sheet of plywood you can have a sturdy table for any length you desire. Wont be pretty but functional.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #9 
wystearya

He he! True enough.

I do like the chrome shelf I posted a link to. It isn't super 'pretty' but I bet with a table cloth on it that it would look fine. ;)
Old 04-13-2012, 08:06 PM   #10 
ZergyMonster

I read a couple reviews on it and it says it has trouble with heavy loads and the shelf slides. Just be careful.