Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #1 
IX3you224

male betta and cory cat fish

My male betta (tiny) has been in a 15 gallon tank by himself are the past few months. Last night I decided to add 2 friends to the tank and brought home some cory catfish. I read that they are very friendly and good community fish. Tiny seems to think differently. When I let their bag get used to the water he kept approaching and flaring. Now that they are out however he keeps "raming" them and swimming away.

My question I guess is what should I do. I now have Tiny in his old tank ( one gallon ) and I dont want to seem like he is being punished. The lady at Petco told me to rearrange the tank and then my betta wont know that is it "HIS" tank, and if that doesnt work get a divider. But then when i went to the local pet store to get a divider, just incase, they told me not to waste my money because my betta would eventually give up.

I just dont want to come home to a blood bath after work. What is the best idea.
IX3you224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #2 
xjenuhfur

Re arrange the tank and re-introduce the betta to the tank. :) the lady at your lps was right.

Also, cories like to be in group of 4+ so while your out one day get 2 more.

Eit: she wasn't right about the "they'll just give up part though"
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #3 
Micho

What kind of Cories? Also Cories like to be in shoal of 4+, also is your substrate sand or fine gravel? Because it'll hurt their barbs if it's not, and also their tummies because the like to swim on the substrate. ):

If your Betta is being a meanie what I would suggest is removing him, re-arrange the tank and make it look different. Put the Cories in, then lastly put your Betta in. If he's still being a jerk, then he's not cut out for community life. :l
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #4 
registereduser

My betta loves his catfish buddy! However he seems to want to EAT the little oto I seem to remember the betta not liking the cory the first few days but now they have a bromance going

Before everyone lights into me for having 3 fish in a 5 gallon tank, let me put your fears to rest: my plan is to put Phillip Betta Fish in my new 20 gallon along with Pookie the Peppered cory. Pookie will be getting at least 3 new friends. Oto will be getting one or 2 more friends and a whole BUNCH of new hiding places.

The 5 gallon will then be home to a new betta and a nerite snail.

OK?
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:19 AM   #5 
Bombalurina

Not ok! How dare you!

I jest. In all seriousness, though, I'd aim for a school of at least 5 for the otos, and at least 6 for the cories. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:56 AM   #6 
Shirleythebetta

Patty (lady betta) cuddles with the larger cory's in the caves, lays with them. Totally weird..... I wonder if your corys in bigger numbers would be less of an easy target. Saftey in numbers maybe? Oh I also invented this cave thing that only the cory's go into. It's a piece of 5 inch PVC pipe cut in half and sits only about two maybe three inches high. The cory's love it and it provides a good protection. This is in my other tank not my sorority. Anyways, I used some gravel on the bottom of the tank and siliconed (aquarium sealant) it on to the "cave" so it looks more like decor. My ghost shrimp loves it. He sits on top the cave a lot.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #7 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Not ok! How dare you!

I jest. In all seriousness, though, I'd aim for a school of at least 5 for the otos, and at least 6 for the cories. :)
I also want 6 or 8 neons, too much?
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:29 AM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I had this problem with my lone pygmy cory, except the betta was added last. I removed the betta, and I am waiting from my live plants to ship in, and waiting for the store to get more cories. I think a large enough group that has lot's of shelter would be the best way to go. That and what everyone else has said.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #9 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
I also want 6 or 8 neons, too much?
1 betta, 6 cories, 5 otos and 8 neons? That'd be fine in a 20 gallon, especially if you have live plants.

I agree with everyone else on the numbers+shelter issue. They'll learn to keep out of the betta's way, and he'll learn to get over it. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #10 
IX3you224

stil not doing too well

Last night I rearranged everything in the tank and let the corys hangout. When I reintroduced tiny he seemed to be fine untill salt & pepper moved. Once that happened it was all over again and tiny came ambushing from above! I had to place the divider in my tank because I couldn't stand to see the poor things be beat up by my bully tiny.
After I put in the divider whenever salt & pepper got near tiny would try to hit them, but thankfully the divider stopped him.
Today things seem a little calmer in the tank. I think I will let this living situation stay like this for a few days then remove the divider to see what happens.
I hope they don't have to live like this forever, and can eventually all get along.
IX3you224 is offline   Reply With Quote