Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #1 
HelloThere123Betta

Female Betta with Guppies?

Hi guys! So tomorrow I'm going up to a pet store and I've kinda been wanting to get a female betta fish! I have a 5 gallon tank that's heated and has a filter on it, and there are 2 male fancy guppies in it, along with a little albino bottom feeder. Could I possibly put one female betta in with them? Would that be okay? The albino doesn't hurt anyone or do anything so I'm not worried about him, but would she be okay with guppies? Thanks!
HelloThere123Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:32 PM   #2 
MaisyDawgThirteen

A 5 gallon wouldn't be able to hold the bio-load of that many fish. :/ If you had a 10 gallon it may work. Do you know what kind of bottom feeder it is? Is it a cory catfish or a pleco?
Hope I Helped! :D
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #3 
Luimeril

cory catfish need small schools, and do best in larger tanks because of that. with guppies, one male to two females is best to keep fighting down(but you end up with alot of babies that way).

being female doesn't tone down the aggression in bettas. she could just not like the guppies for the same reason a male would. i suggest getting a bigger tank for them all, really. a 10 gallon, or 20, would be better.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:07 AM   #4 
Bombalurina

Both Maisy and Lumeril are correct. I just want to add: what kind of bottom feeder is it? There are a lot of different species out there. None can live in less than 10 gallons, most need a lot more, and many need schools.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:23 AM   #5 
BettaGirl290

I agree, but i read that most common plecos grow to a size bigger then a 20 gallon long tank, but i suppose you'd have to move it somewhere else, and yes, that would be a TON of bio load, i suggest moving the pleco, or whatever it is to a bigger tank, and keep it by itself, unless it needs a school.
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:23 AM   #6 
Fishehgobloop

Hi.

A good rule of thumb when you're keeping a community tank is one gallon of water for every inch of fish. You want to think ahead for when your fishes grow, as most fish do, and make sure your accommodations are right for them. Also, keep in mind that female bettas can be just as aggressive toward other brightly colored fish as male bettas are, and guppies usually aren't the best tank mates for bettas at all (i know from personal experience, sadly).
If you want to put your female betta in a tank with tank mates, I would suggest something more along the lines of mollies, or another non-aggressive community fish. I have personally had tanks where I've had gourami in with my bettas and they co-exist nicely, but bear in mind that gourami are semi-aggressive.
Make sure you have plenty of plants and hide-aways for your fishies, as female bettas can be extremely territorial. (Or you could end up with a nice docile one, which I've also had the pleasure of having. But the general rule of thumb with bettas is be prepared for aggression and have a back up plan).
Fishehgobloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:12 AM   #7 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Mollies are actually brackish fish, not freshwater. They can live in freshwater, but it shortens their lifespan.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #8 
Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishehgobloop View Post
Hi.

A good rule of thumb when you're keeping a community tank is one gallon of water for every inch of fish.
This is a very inaccurate rule and can only be used in a minimal amount of situations. For example, a 10 inch Oscar could not live in a 10 gallon tank, you could have more than 15 boraras brigittae in a 10 gallon, but if you went by your suggested rule, you could have that many.

The tank size

The bio load of the fish

Territory issues

Fish's Level in the tank

Filteration

If its planted with live plants

If its cycled

Aggresion

Feeding habits

Adult size

Whether or not they are schooling

Last edited by Mo; 04-06-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #9 
Fishehgobloop

You're right, Mo, but there's also a common sense rule that says you don't put a big fish in a small tank. I don't think anyone in their right mind would put a 10 inch Oscar in a 10 gallon.
Also, it's kind of a beginner's rule, since it isn't recommended that someone new to fish goes out and over stocks their tank and ends up with a disaster. Someone more knowledgeable about fish would know the information you just shared, while a beginner would not.
What I said stands, and I would advise against putting a betta in with guppies, at least not without lots of good hiding places and back up plan if things do go south.
Fishehgobloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

Still not a rule I'd recommend giving to anyone without a lot of clarification, Fishehgobloop. It just has way too many provisos. Better just to advise people to look at a fish's bioload, potential adult size, territorial and schooling needs. :) After all, things don't have to be as dramatic as the oscar in the ten gallon - people use this rule to let them put danios in 5 gallons.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
female betta with guppies