Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #11 
BeckyFish97

I think if it was bloating then it would be the same on the other side of the fish, and the shape would be altogether more rounded
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #12 
Kiku

Sad news, guys....Alby's tumor-thing is now worse and one eye is starting to look like popeye....I cleaned his tank extra well and took out all of the fake plants in case they were harboring bacteria. I'm not sure what else to do T.T
Kiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #13 
Kiku

Is there any kind of treatment for this? I always did weekly water changes, I can't imagine the water got so dirty on its own...but during this cleaning I did notice a lot of brown slime on the sides. I cleaned it off entirely and rinsed in hot water three times just to be sure....I have no idea what this is
Old 04-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #14 
BeckyFish97

I just put into google images : betta fish tumors, and it brought up some awful results which sadly are practically identical to alby's suspected tumor, my advice would be try and keep alby as comfortable as possible, or if you think it would be better for alby maybe putting him to sleep would be another option.
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #15 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiku View Post
Is there any kind of treatment for this? I always did weekly water changes, I can't imagine the water got so dirty on its own...but during this cleaning I did notice a lot of brown slime on the sides. I cleaned it off entirely and rinsed in hot water three times just to be sure....I have no idea what this is

What kind of light do you use and how long do you leave it on?
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #16 
Kiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyth88 View Post
What kind of light do you use and how long do you leave it on?
It's a....well, I'm not sure what it's called. It's a small bulb, probably made for nightlights, but it gets quite warm. I turn it on when I wake up and turn it off before bed...he also has a little water heater.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #17 
Kiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyFish97 View Post
I just put into google images : betta fish tumors, and it brought up some awful results which sadly are practically identical to alby's suspected tumor, my advice would be try and keep alby as comfortable as possible, or if you think it would be better for alby maybe putting him to sleep would be another option.
I just looked it up and oh dear, I think you're right. I feel absolutely sick with worry....I've never euthanized a fish and I'd be terrified to....it's also hard to tell how much pain he is in.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:18 PM   #18 
fleetfish

I'm so very sorry ... I've had a few bettas with cancer tumours and sometimes they are just too far gone. The tumours can start internally and just spread until they erupt at the surface. At least he had a full year with you and lots of love and attention.
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #19 
Kiku

I think the best thing I can do is do frequent water changes and buy some clean plants for him so he'll feel safe and comfortable....I'm scared to even look at him because of the popeye and the tumor. I feel like a horrible owner ;__; I must have done something wrong for it to get this bad.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #20 
fleetfish

You're not a bad owner. I know it's hard to see them so sick, but it's not your fault ... these things just happen wether you want them to or not.
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote