Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2012, 04:04 AM   #1 
Aus

Your Non-Betta Wish List

If you could have any pet (within reason) -

- What would it be? And why do you want it?

- What's preventing you from having one?

I have a huge wish list, as I can't feasibly take care of the animals I once could and I miss having freedom of options. Right now, I'd love to explore aquaculture some more, but there's a few species we simply aren't allowed to have here in Australia.

- African Dwarf Frogs, because they're so darned cute and easy to keep. Can't get 'em here, sadly, so I'm doomed to envy you Americans and your little frogs.. Hopefully they one day make the list of approved imports.

- Thai micro crabs. :( Same reasons as above.

- Bichirs. Because they're awesomely prehistoric and weird. I just don't know enough about fish-keeping yet ... and also am not confident I could care for a 120-gallon tank right now. Maybe one day...

- A whole frog pond. I would, if I owned this house, cheerfully gut my entire back yard and establish a pond for native plants, local frogs and other aquatic wildlife. It's amazing how much wildlife is happy to live in the city suburbs, given half a chance... But I don't own the house, so no can do.

- Rats. I miss having rats, and these days there's so many good breeders out there. But I have an amazingly talented rat-catching cat. If I can work the logistics to ensure total ratty safety, I may actually be able to fulfil this wish. :)

- Long-armed Shrimp. Because they're awesome and a bit odd. I can actually have this wish, and intend to fulfil it before the year is out.

I'd love to hear your own beasty wishlists.

Last edited by Aus; 04-13-2012 at 04:09 AM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:55 AM   #2 
MollyJean

You've made me realize... everything I want right now would be to make my husband happy, not me. He wants a chinchilla or a sugar glider.. he had both when he was little and loves them. I wanted to keep the ferret we acquired just to make him happy, but it wouldn't work. :( Too many cats.

He also wants an English bulldog. And I'm all for it, our pitbull is still young and introducing a puppy wouldn't be nearly as hard now as it would in a few years.. But... we've agreed no more dogs :(

I think I'm happy with what we have... though a couple more betta's would be nice!

Dream pet, however... would be an exotic-ish cat. Not like a tiger or something.. maybe a Mokave or a Savannah cat. Maybe a Maine Coon. I'm a cat person, of course.. I'd love something exotic-ish.

Oh. A Fennec Fox would be fun. They're so cute, but probably very hard to take care of.

And as nasty as it sounds.... a Giant African Land Snail. Illegal in the US, but they are so neat. I just love snails!
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #3 
Aus

Omg - I love those snails! Add that to my list, lol!

Maine Coon, also - and we -can- get those here. I think Tomtom might object though...
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #4 
SpookyTooth

I love my giant African land snail :) He's awesome, bred him myself.

My dream pet at the moment would also be an African Dwarf Frog; I try not to look too far ahead with pets though as I am very limited due to my own care needs (currently suffering from a long-term ailment so I try to keep things small). In the future I would adore a large aviary with lots of small birds...

And some chickens... a goat or three... some rabbits... err... but yes, an African Dwarf Frog. I'm setting a tank up for one at the moment but have been unable to find the animal itself for sale in my local area. Still, if the tank can't go to an ADF there are always other options -cough- another betta.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #5 
MollyJean

I've never wanted to own a frog.. probably because everywhere I've lived we've had them. I could go outside right now and catch 30. My daughter and I go out late at night sometimes to watch them. They're great to look at but I don't think I'd want one for a pet.

I'm surprised so many people like giant snails!
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #6 
thekoimaiden

Almost all of my pet wishes are just more fish. I've never been a fan of small mammals and snakes are neat, but if I have something in a cage I would rather it be a fish. Most of my fish-wishes are reasonable.

- 150 gal brackish tank with archer fish (look them up, they are awesome ;) )
- 150 gal amazon biotype tank with discus, cardinal tetra, and loriicarid catfishes
- tequila splitfin (a rare type of livebearer) tank

The only thing keeping me from the larger tanks is space and money. The fish that go in these tanks are rather expensive on their own coupled with the cost of a 150 gallon tank and canister filter. They also a pain to move, so I'm going to wait until I'm settled in somewhere with a big hunk of cash before I set them up. Now for the crazy (but still kinda within reason depending on my future salary) tanks.

- sturgeon pond! basically a 10,000 gallon swimming pool converted to house these ancient beasts
- indoor goldfish pond! put it inside a sun room; I've seen some that are really neat!

In the way of non-fish wishes I'd love to have a salamander room. I like 'em much better than frogs.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #7 
Twilight Storm

I have enough little furry, fuzzy, feathery and scaly family members right now but since this is a wish list I have always loved donkeys. There is no feasible way I could house one or take care of one where I live though.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #8 
Rosso1011

A Boston Terrier. What's stopping me? My landlord doesn't allow dogs or cats. I also feel like at this point, I'm not ready to take on the potential vet bills. I need just a little more stability before I go out and get the dog of my dreams.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #9 
finnfinnfriend

A Newfoundland! Giant teddy bear dogs!

Guinea pigs!!! I want them so bad!!

Fantail goldfish

Another kitty :3

A budgie (might be getting one soon XD)

A corn snake

Koi!

A dragon!

A brontosaurus! (He can eat all the over-grown weeds in the backyard!)

And you know what? I don't even want another betta. I like staying faithful to my Finn...I guess I'm a one-betta kind of girl XD
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #10 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

hehe :D

-Curl Crested Aracari or Plate Billed Mountain Toucan - I love all toucany birds. Sadly I'm 17 and won't have stable income for a LONG time, enough to provide a daily diet composed almost entirely of fresh fruit for one of these sweet loving birds.

-Greek/Russian Tortoise- Parents. Plus impossible to find in Canada.

-Sulawesi Inverts- Long armed shrimp, micro crabs, sulawesi shrimp and commando crabs. DREAM animals for me. I just personally don't feel experienced enough to start importing these delicate animals, but someday ;)
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote