Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #1 
Kinz2488

Betta Doesn't Like Change?

Our Betta was being beat up by our current filter in a 10 gallon tank. We are going to get him a new filter that is adjustable this afternoon but I went ahead and unplugged the filter thinking it would cause less stress on him to just have his water still. He is spazzing out now though. He is fluffed and swimming around all crazy. Do you think he will be okay? Is it the change of water movement freaking him out or is it possible that turning the filter off released bad things into his water?
Kinz2488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #2 
Jessicatm137

He's probably just a little stressed, just give him a little bit to calm down. He will probably be fine. :)
Jessicatm137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #3 
harrypotter

The title of this post reminded me of a situation I had a few weeks ago with my betta, Malfoy. I was doing his water change and decided to mix up his tank to give him a new view. So I moved his plants to a different side of the tank and moved his floating log etc and when I put him back into his tank, he swam around before going to the bottom of the tank and laying on his side. He stayed like that for thirty minutes! I was starting to get concerned so I quick arranged his tank back to normal and the little bugger was up swimming around again like nothing had happened!
harrypotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #4 
Kinz2488

Lol. Apparently he is just being a drama king. I checked the water and everything is fine. Also, he seems to be okay now. He is usually pretty easy going but turning off the filter that I thought was annoying him made him throw a fit. :) I love Betta personalities.
Kinz2488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #5 
Cyndih70

I'm wondering now if thats the problem with my CT Sushi. I have had him about 5 days or so and I think ive got him all stressed out. I feel so bad for him right now. Between coming home in a cup, moving into a 1 gallon hold tank, til I got the 3.5 gallon ready...then going into the 3.5 gallon and me adjusting the flow on the filter, he needs a spa treatment. Poor little fella is so stressed right now, all he does is swim to the top, grab a fresh breath and go right back to the bottom to sleep/chill/relax. He hasn't been patrolling much in the last couple days. I just hope he can pull himself out of this funk. Plus...I need to learn to just leave him alone for a couple days and let him adjust. Ive had a bad habit the last couple days of rearranging things in his tank. I keep thinking...oh if I move that, he can sleep under there...etc. I'm pretty its my fault he's stressed and I feel terrible for that.

So do you think my Sushi is probably just stressed out? Do I need to just leave him be for a couple days?
Cyndih70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #6 
Sheldon31

Ky hates change, he soon gets over it after throwing a huge tantrum like a toddler and biting him own tail sometimes but he does get over it eventually. I can't mother him, he's a fish! lol. But yeah, sounds like your sushi just needs to have some time to relax. Moving to a new home is stressful for fish and they do need time to adjust and relax. I used IAL to help when Kyon had to move from a 15g to his own 6.5g. He stressed out majorly when I put new plants in and bit me the other day when I was moving something.
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #7 
Cyndih70

Ok...call me ignorant, but what is IAL?
Cyndih70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #8 
Sheldon31

Sorry my fault. It's Indian almond leaf.
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote