Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #1 
CytoEric

HOB filter for Hawkeye 5

Hey all,

I've been lurking on the site for a few weeks now doing research, and I've learned a lot about betta keeping on here :) I'm not new to fish keeping, but this will be my first time keeping a betta. I'm waiting until my betta's tank is completely ready to go before I actually go purchase a fish (I have a 46g goldfish tank to keep me occupied in the meantime). So far my betta tank is sitting empty while I wait for my substrate and heater to arrive.

I recently bought a Hawkeye 5 (or Aquarius 5 as it was called on the box) from Wal-Mart, based on everything I've read about it on this site. Although I like the tank, I'm not a fan of the filter it came with - a Mini Might internal filter...I've never heard of it and don't really care for it. I'd much rather have a HOB filter to free up as much room inside of the tank as possible. My question is for those of you using the Hawkeye 5 with a HOB filter, what brand do you use? Someone said they used the Marina S10, but they weren't able to lift the hood up because the filter got in the way. I'd prefer to buy a filter that I'd be able to lift the hood up the way it was made to do. I think I remember seeing a picture where someone had a Penguin and maybe someone with an AquaClear on theirs. Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated :)
CytoEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:53 AM   #2 
DDave

I have an Aquaclear 20 on mine, but I had to cut the lip of the tank with my dremel to make it fit because the lip was too wide to let the filter hang. The Aquaclear works much better than the filter that came with my tank (which was actually a different HOB filter), and the lid opens just fine with the filter attached. So, if you're willing to do some cutting to your tank then the Aquaclear is a good option. If not, you'll have to go with something else.
DDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:35 AM   #3 
sparkyjoe

Amen, DDave, I am enjoying the Hawkeye, but after the filter died (in the middle of my cycle) I also went with the AquaClear 20. It is a little tight fit over the lip of the tank, but it did fit. I like that it has an adjustable flow too, but I baffled it even further by using the deflector (I guess that's what it is, it fits onto the original Hawkeye filter and keeps the water from shooting out and hitting the front of the tank), attaching a piece of media sponge to it and then hookinf it over the media basket of the AquaClear.

I think the Hawkeye and the AquaClear 20 make a good setup.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #4 
CytoEric

Thanks y'all. I went out and bought the AquaClear 20 and it really is a good fit. I have a larger AquaClear and a Penguin 200 on my goldfish tank, and I like them both. I was hoping that one or the other would be good match for the Hawkeye.

I cut a sponge to slip over the intake and also rubberbanded a sponge to where the water comes out to minimize the waterfall effect. I'll have to try baffling using the deflector like you described SparkyJoe.

Thanks again :)
CytoEric is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarius, filter, hawkeye, hob