Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2007, 09:14 AM   #1 
grey

Betta tank

HI:
I have been doing a lot of research, after seeing the the betta at our office succumb to his filthy cramped environment, and I am planning to get one from a store. Until I am better equipped, knowledge wise, as cruel as it may sound, I can still give one of them a better home then a plastic cup.

After much consideration I am getting a 10 gal tank for christmas and I am wondering if I make the betta my feature attraction, is there room for anything else in there that would look nice but doesnt outshine him?

grey
grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:55 AM   #2 
rustyness

a couple of corys would be really nice :)
rustyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:05 AM   #3 
grey

I was thinking of panda corys but I always thought they would need to be in groups of 6 or more. I had also considered tetras.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:35 AM   #4 
beetlebz

ill let someone more experienced comment here, but my vote is for a blue mystery snail either way :D
beetlebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:19 AM   #5 
Falina

A mystery snail or 2 would be great. Some shrimp would be great. 6 Panda cories would probably be alright, they tend to stay a bit smaller than most of the other species (excluding dwarf obviously) but you would need to be diligent with water changes. Personally I wouldn't do it myself but it could work. Make sure the tank is fully cycled first though - pandas can be quite sensitive.

You certainly would have room for a small school of glolights, or neons perhaps. I find that fish like this with bettas, it's down to luck whether they will get on or not. Often they will be fine. Often the betta will turn on them. I've personally had bad luck with keeping bettas with any top/middle dwelling fish. I've only had luck with bottom dwelling fish.

Another option might be 2-3 ottos. Again though, they are quite sensitive to water quality, and in addition need a good supply of algae. Many will eat nothing else, so are best for a mature tank.
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:42 AM   #6 
grey

So what everyone is suggesting is that its not a good idea to put other fish in with a betta. Guess my original idea of a community tank with tetra, guppies and corys would be a better way of going for a rookie.